Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Women

There were three women I idolized growing up.

Singer/songwriter Bonnie Raitt. Aside from the singing, she apparently drank a lot and had a lot of sex, and I thought she was cool.

Playwright Wendy Wasserstein. She wrote witty dialogue, and I thought she was brilliant.

Actor/writer Carrie Fisher. She was Princess Leia, she married Paul Simon (albeit briefly) and she wrote like a combination of Dorothy Parker and that voice inside my head. I wanted to be her.

My mother took me to see Bonnie Raitt for both the Nick of Time and Luck of the Draw tours. And she took me to see Wendy Wasserstein at the Smithsonian.

And a couple of nights ago, she took me to see Carrie Fisher's show Wishful Drinking. (Kenju's blog, Imagine What I'm Leaving Out, which is on my blogroll, is named for a line in the show.) The show was great, hilarious. Some of the lines I recognized from her books, but they were funny all the same. I brought a few of my books on the off chance that she'd be out signing books after the show: (1) a respectable, clean hardback of Postcards From the Edge, (2) a dogeared, slightly marked up (read: underlined) paperback of Postcards, and (3) an embarrassingly underlined, total fangirl-wrecked paperback of Surrender the Pink. Alas, we did not see her come out right after the show. All in all, it's probably for the best. Although I managed to speak coherently to Wendy Wasserstein when I met her, I doubt I could've retained my composure in front of Carrie Fisher. I would've been all fawning and babbling and "My senior yearbook quote was from Postcards!" It would have been humiliating and she no doubt would have gotten a restraining order on me.

7 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

I love her too!

10:39 PM, September 14, 2008  
Blogger kenju said...

THANKS for the link! I think Carrie is fabulous, and I'd love to see that show. Glad you did.

11:18 PM, September 14, 2008  
Anonymous Genevieve said...

I saw the show last week - damn, it was funny! I agree, she's fabulous.

Have TiVo'd the 30 Rock episode where she appears, but haven't watched it yet. Have you seen it? If not, should I burn you a copy, or would you watch it online?

12:07 PM, September 15, 2008  
Anonymous DaniGirl said...

She was my first heroine, as Princess Leia. Definitely one of my role models, and the blog title was a conscious -- um, maybe homage, more like shuffly-footed blushing acknowledgment to her coolness.

I had multiple copies of Generation X on hand, in much the same condition you describe, when I met Douglas Copeland.

6:50 PM, September 15, 2008  
Anonymous danigirl said...

Coupland. Douglas Coupland. Darn one-finger typing.

6:52 PM, September 15, 2008  
Blogger KathyR said...

I love Bonnie Raitt. I'd kind of like to be her. Well, if I could skip the druggy period, I would totally like to be her.

11:13 PM, September 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your picks! All three of them are great (RIP, Wendy Wasserstein). As an actress, I always identified with Carrie Fisher - I like to think I have a little of her deadpan delivery. I would have loved to have been Marie in When Harry Met Sally -- if only it had come out later!(But then, we wouldn't have CF in the role....) :)

"You're right, you're right, I know you're right!"

~Justine

8:39 PM, October 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home