Thursday, May 01, 2008

Recession diets and hot dogs

The New York Times and the Washington Post have been writing about folks getting more careful with their grocery purchases, as food (and gas) prices climb.

I've always clipped coupons. I could be a partner in a BigLaw firm and STILL clip coupons. I grew up doing it, and I've always liked it. I actually get excited when I see a coupon for something I actually use.

I now realize I'm going to have to keep clipping coupons. I thought I'd have at least 9 or 10 years before my boys reached those famous ravenous-teenage-boy years. But both AB and ALB can eat two whole hot dogs at dinner and still want more. If NSAH and I also have 2 dogs each, that's a whole pack of hot dogs gone in one meal. I'm not used to that.

6 Comments:

Blogger K said...

I used to *love* clipping coupons! But alas, now that we live in granola-crunchy-ville and get most of our groceries at the organic co-op/farmers market/csa...the coupons are less useful.

Of course, there is always the Target trips. I bet I could look for couons for those...

9:49 PM, May 01, 2008  
Blogger KathyR said...

My 15-year-old eats pretty much for a whole hour after he gets home from school. Leftovers, bread, pretzels, peanut butter, ice cream, baby carrots, canned soup, canned baked beans. Some combination of at least three of those things. Later, we have dinner. And an hour or so after dinner, he's into the peanut butter or the ice cream or the cereal. Or all three, in succession.

Incredible to witness, really.

11:20 PM, May 01, 2008  
Blogger lacochran said...

And if you find a coupon in the paper for something you use and want and then at the store it's on sale and they have another coupon, you feel like they're practically paying you to take it and you get all tingly?

Or maybe that's just me.

:) Nice post.

8:21 AM, May 02, 2008  
Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

If we shifted back to my grad school diet (heavy on the penne alla marinara), I'd probably lose 30#, the kids would be thrilled to have all those noodles, and Whole Foods would go broke.

However, we ditched our local newspaper subscription since in the end, we were only getting the paper for the coupons and the coupons were not quite paying for the paper.

12:47 PM, May 02, 2008  
Blogger ccw said...

I have always used coupons. Now that we are a patching together several jobs with COBRA family, I love my coupons even more.

The recession diet is certainly going on in my house. I can only hope that things are back to normal for us before all the wonderful summer fruit starts showing up. It will kill me to not buy massive quantities of fruit because we need real food.

11:30 AM, May 05, 2008  
Blogger liz said...

Don't forget to ask at the store if they have any extra coupons. Sometimes they'll just GIVE them to you.

8:38 PM, May 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home