Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday Frivolity: Look how illiterate I am!

As seen at Raising WEG, these are the top 106 books tagged "unread" at LibraryThing (which I haven't used before). This is list as of 7:45am EDT today, May 23, 2008.

Bold the ones you’ve read, underline the ones you read for school, I'm just going to underline the ones I've read ('cause the bold is too hard to distinguish), and italicize the ones you started but didn’t finish.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Anna Karenina
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Crime and Punishment
Wuthering Heights
Catch-22
The Silmarillion
Don Quixote
The Odyssey
The Brothers Karamazov
Ulysses
War and Peace
Madame Bovary (I read it in French!)
A Tale of Two Cities
Jane Eyre
The Name of the Rose
Moby Dick
Emma
The Iliad
Vanity Fair
Love in the Time of Cholera
The Blind Assassin
Pride and Prejudice
The Historian: A Novel
The Canterbury Tales
The Kite Runner
Great Expectations
Life of Pi
The Time Traveler's Wife
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
Atlas Shrugged
Foucault's Pendulum
Dracula (One of my favorite books when I was in high school)
The Grapes of Wrath
Frankenstein
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Mrs. Dalloway
Sense and Sensibility
Middlemarch
Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books
The Count of Monte Cristo (Does Classics Illustrated count?)
The Sound and The Fury
Memoirs of a Geisha
Brave New World
Quicksilver
American Gods
Middlesex
The Poisonwood Bible
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Dune
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Worst. Book. Ever.)
The Satanic Verses
Mansfield Park
Gulliver's Travels
The Three Musketeers
The Inferno
The Corrections
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (I fully intend to read this some day)
The Fountainhead
Tess of the D'Urbervilles (bleh)
Oliver Twist
To the Lighthouse
A Clockwork Orange
Robinson Crusoe
Persuasion
The Scarlet Letter (LOVED this book)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Once and Future King
Anansi Boys
Atonement
The God of Small Things
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Cryptonomicon
Dubliners (Now THIS is good Joyce)
Oryx and Crake
Angela's Ashes
Beloved
Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
In Cold Blood
Lady Chatterley's Lover
A Confederacy of Dunces
Les Misérables
The Amber Spyglass
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
Watership Down
Beowulf: A New Verse Translation
The Aeneid (it had more heart than the Odyssey)
A Farewell to Arms
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Treasure Island
David Copperfield
Sons and Lovers
Possession
The Book Thief
The history of Tom Jones
The Road
Tender is the Night (My least favorite F. Scott, and I am a big fan)
The War of the Worlds

OK. I'll take votes. Other than The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which I have made up my mind to read anyway, which of these should I read in the coming year? Whichever book gets the most votes by the end of the month, I will read before year's end.

17 Comments:

Blogger Songbird said...

Oh, read Wicked!
Thanks for explaining the derivation of this list. I've seen the meme elsewhere, and I couldn't figure out what kind of list it was supposed to be. I may do this now!

9:24 PM, May 23, 2008  
Blogger K said...

Oh, where to start. what a great list of books!

Anna Karenina is long, but brilliant.

Wuthering Heights is a favorite, but you could probably skip that one. I think it helps to be 16 and full of angst to get that one. Same with Jane Eyre.

The Kite Runner was disturbing, but worth reading.

The Grapes of Wrath is one of my favorite books of all time. But, again, it might help to have a bit of the 16 year old angst for that one too.

Middlemarch is great. Definitely worth a read. Same basic genre as all the Jane Austen books. (But I love that kind of book, you might not!)

I liked Atonement quite a bit - that one is worth a read.

I haven't read Wicked - I'll have to get that one.

10:27 PM, May 23, 2008  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Pride and Prejudice.

I see Amber Spyglass on the list, but not The Golden Compass. If you haven't read Golden Compass, you should read it.

There are a few total dogs on the list. The Silmarillion is unreadable -- it's just Tolkein's notes about the origins of middle earth that his son slapped together into a book after he died. The Historian might have been good at 1/3 the length, but I gave up on it. Atlas Shrugged is unbearable.

10:40 PM, May 23, 2008  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Oh yes. I should have qualified that: I will read the top vote-getter, unless it is Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead.

Thanks for your opinions so far! Makes me wish I had more time to read...

10:42 PM, May 23, 2008  
Blogger kenju said...

I have read 38 of them, but I'm too tired to copy and bold the list. I'd read Grapes of Wrath, if I were you, and Anna Karenina and A Short History of Nearly Everything (or anything by Bryson).

What do you have against Ayn Rand?

12:17 AM, May 24, 2008  
Blogger Quinn said...

Catch-22. Short and funny as hell.

1:04 AM, May 24, 2008  
Blogger jen said...

100 Years of Solitude... no contest.

1:53 AM, May 24, 2008  
Blogger M&Co. said...

Catch-22 IS funny but none of his other writing is.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay was GREAT!

Middlesex was interesting in that train wreck sort of way.

Memoirs of a Geisha was good. I've not seen the movie but I think a lot would have been lost.

Everyone in book club but me LOVED The Historian: A Novel. It just went on and on and on.

I'm currently reading March by Geraldine Brooks. It was really good as was her Year of Wonders.

2:51 AM, May 24, 2008  
Blogger Bedivere said...

Both The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum are great, ripping yarns, if a little heavy on the pedantic tangents. But, for my money, the best (and funniest) book on this list is A Confederacy of Dunces, although the humor, which manages to be both dark and madcap at the same time, is not everyone's cup of chicory coffee.

10:23 AM, May 24, 2008  
Anonymous nsah said...

I'm at 15 or so, and the funny thing is that most of those 15 were terrible. Especially Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Tough to be Zen when I couldn't rid myself of the desire to run that piece of crap through a shredder.

Catch 22 was the most memorable of those books to me, in part because I read it outside class and still used it in my main essay on the AP English exam. Catch 22, NSAH 5. Excellent.

3:33 PM, May 24, 2008  
Blogger TSC Girl said...

So many good books on this list! I'd have to go with Memoirs of a Geisha or Robinson Crusoe. Brave New World was also excellent, but the others were more enjoyable.

Lady Chatterly's Lover was disappointing, and I must be the only person in the free world who didnt like Wicked - I couldnt even get halfway through it.

9:18 PM, May 24, 2008  
Anonymous Bobbi said...

Since you like Star Wars, read the original swashbuckler, Three Musketeers. Great fun, and should the munchkin overtake your life for a week or two, you can pick up where you left off. (I say this as a mom of toddlers.) Pick a modern translation.

10:18 PM, May 26, 2008  
Blogger OneTiredEma said...

Middlesex and Atonement are very good reads--but I read The Time Traveler's Wife recently and really loved it!

Any Garcia Marquez is super *IF* you can spare the time to read and brain space for all the characters.

6:52 PM, May 27, 2008  
Blogger Suburban Gorgon said...

I loved, loved, LOVED The Time Traveler's Wife. One of my favorite reads in recent years.

9:13 AM, June 01, 2008  
Anonymous dazey said...

TSC Girl, you're not the only one who didn't like Wicked. I only made it through when I forced myself not to buy any other books until it was finished.

Another vote for Catch-22. I also enjoyed The God of Little Things, but it has been a while since I've read it. Considering I go through 2+ books per week, I can't keep track of what I've read.

9:18 AM, June 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

American Gods is excellent. When I was reading it, I couldn't explain what it was about but I couldn't put it down.

2:09 PM, June 08, 2008  
Blogger WomanoftheLaw said...

I have Kavalier and Clay, and a bunch of these other books (Time Traveler's Wife, Farewell to Arms, Atonement, Angela's Ashes, the Kite Runner) - I wouldn't mind doing a book swap if you're interested and have some books kicking around that you'd like to share. I can't part with any G.G. Marquez books though. I was really into him at one point, so much so that I own pretty much every one of them, and I cherish them too much to part with them.

I didn't like Kavalier and Clay, and I guess maybe I didn't really 'get' Anna Karenina, which I just finished. The Kite Runner and Time Traveler's Wife are good emotional stories and neither are a difficult read (which is key for summertime reading, I find). Can I vote for those two?

7:42 PM, June 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home