Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Driving music

This weekend, we turned Angry Little Baby's car seats around, so now he will face forward in both of our cars. He's not quite one yet, but he's well over 20 pounds, the little tank. (He's already wearing AB's 24 month and 2T clothes. Ack.)

As I was grunting around in the backseat, I took the opportunity to clean out my car. It's always a mess, I admit. My favorite discovery among the trash collected on the backseat floormats (hey, when your kids' feet can't touch the floor, there's no big hurry to get that area cleaned up) was the mass of Yahoo! Maps directions to various courthouses in random parts of the state.

I also cleaned out my glove compartment. I have a bad habit of just putting in new insurance and registration docs without removing and throwing out the old ones. Hence, a lot of expired data in there. I also have CD cases for CDs that I haven't listened to in roughly three years. One of the CD cases had two CDs jammed in there, and one of the CDs was the soundtrack to the movie The Saint. Pretty bad movie, although Val Kilmer and Elizabeth Shue are both nice to look at for a while. (I like Shue, but I just can't buy "Alli-with-an-i" as a brilliant physicist.) The soundtrack, however, is pretty good, at least in terms of driving music:
  • "The Saint Theme" by Orbital

  • "Six Underground" by Sneaker Pimps

  • "Atom Bomb" by Fluke

  • "Da Funk" by Daft Punk

  • "Dead Man Walking" by David Bowie


This is excellent trying-to-make-it-through-traffic music. I decided to keep the CD in my car for my next emergency-drive-to-the-court-for-last-minute-filing episode. Or my next we-found-the-subpoena-dodging-witness-but-he'll-only-be-here-for-another-few-hours episode.

What's your driving-through-traffic music? I'm not talking fun roadtrip music (for me, that's A Decade of Steely Dan, for one), but stuff that gets you pumped up for dealing with all the crap out there on the roads.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lady Liberal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:59 PM, September 21, 2007  
Blogger Lady Liberal said...

Hmmm...
Foo Fighters "Monkey Wrench" comes to mind, for the grouchy days.
The Indigo Girls "Shame on You" for the indignant-yet-still-positive liberal in me.
The Killers "All These Things That I Have Done" is great at VERY high volume in the car, particularly once the gospel choir gets fired up.
There's also a bluegrass band, The Gourds I think, who did this positively hilarious cover of Snoop's "Gin 'n Juice". Also good in the car for some reason- you just can't be mad when some mountain hippie sings "all you motherf***ers bounce to thaaaaaa-yaaaat".
Oh, and for difficult high-speed traffic situations, The Matrix soundtrack.

2:01 PM, September 21, 2007  
Blogger liz said...

The Proclaimers. Especially "Then I Met You" off the Sunshine on Leith album.

2:52 PM, September 21, 2007  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

In this area, I try to go with music that will be soothing and calm and will inspire me not to drive like a sh*thead. That leaves me with either "The Strauss Brother's Top 10 Waltzes" or "100 Years of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir."

Otherwise, it's Mary Chapin Carpenter or Pink Martini.

8:19 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger susan said...

Anything by Bruce Springsteen.

11:11 PM, September 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home