Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Does the 5-second rule apply to small clumps of dirt or dead bugs?

The Carnation GoodStart website tells me that, at 12 months (no, ALB isn't there just yet), my baby may "begin to grab up small crumbs or pieces of food with two fingers."

What they neglect to mention is that he may begin to grab up small pieces (and not necessarily pieces of food) from the floor, and proceed to put them in his mouth.


On an unrelated note, ack. Just ack. This article about clingy parents and their college-bound kids made me cringe. When I was in college, our dads called once a week (usually on Saturday morning at sevenfreakingthirty). Email was mostly for college kids back in those days, but I emailed my mom occasionally at her work. I still remember my first long weekend as a freshman. It must've been Labor Day weekend, and I was stunned at how dead the campus was as all the in-staters went home for the whole three days! I remember thinking, "These people JUST left home!"


Blogger CM said...


I would get antsy every time my parents set foot on campus. I felt like it was my turf, where I finally got to be independent (even though they were paying my tuition), and then they would just come back and treat me like I was nine again.

Aside from the excessive parental involvement in things that kids really should be doing, though, maybe it's a good thing that kids are just as willing as their parents to keep in close touch. I would be thrilled if my kids are a little (just a little) sad about leaving home and their parents. I certainly wasn't.

8:42 AM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Oh dear god. No wonder kids take so damn long to grow up. I was so eager to cut the apron strings I practically hacked them off with a machete on my way down the driveway as I waved goodbye. A clingy parent would have driven me insane.

10:19 AM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger Mrs. Coulter said...

Yipe. I couldn't WAIT for my parents to go home when they took me to college. GET OUT OF HERE [shove]. I talked to my parents once or twice a week, if that. The distance vastly improved my relationship with my mother.

11:53 AM, August 29, 2007  
Anonymous nutso-ranter said...

Yes - the 5 second rule applies to bugs and clumps of dirt. Remind me to tell you about the time my older sister fed me black fuzzy caterpillars when I was little. And I ate them.

Sure explains a lot, doesn't it?

3:21 PM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger J.M. Tewkesbury said...

I love this quote:

"Certainly, we're seeing a lot more separation anxiety, the kind that used to be at the doorstep of nursery school, not college," said Bill Conley, dean of enrollment and academic services at Johns Hopkins University.

Talk about callin' it like ya see it! Woo hoo Bill Conley!

7:50 PM, August 29, 2007  
Anonymous nsah said...

My parents weren't even there when I loaded my stuff into the dorm, but my mom called every day for quite a while. She couldn't have worried too much -- between my hair, my clothes and general social ineptitude, women weren't going to go anywhere near me until late sophomore year.

My first weekend was a little different. I wandered around figuring people would be doing fun things, but everyone was drinking. Where's the fun in that?

8:49 PM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger jo(e) said...

One of my advisees came to my office this week to talk about changing her schedule -- and her mother came with her!

I had a nice talk with the mother (I explained that I have kids in college too and I know how it is, but she needed to leave) and sent her on her way.

9:08 PM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger K said...

If I remember correctly, my parents drove me up to Boston in August and I didn't see them again until I flew home to DC for Thanksgiving. I'm sure we talked on the phone - but they wouldn't have had a clue who any of my professors were or anything like that. And I'm abnormally close to my parents. (We usually communicate in some form almost every day - but NOTHING like that! More of a "have a good day" email sort of thing.)

My first thought is: Those poor kids. If the aren't breaking the ties now - when will they do it?

My second thought is: How can I make sure I'm NOT THAT PARENT in 10 years...when we do our college drop off!

10:30 PM, August 29, 2007  
Blogger Julie said...

Oh god.

"Eighteen-year-old Mychal Harrison gave his mom a hug and said he will text-message her every morning and call home every night from Georgetown. His parents are planning to drive from Atlanta every weekend for his football games."

My mom calls me everyday NOW (and I'm more than a decade out of college) but if she'd pulled that crap while I was away at school I would have stopped going home! Come on! What happened to parents rejoicing that they could have their privacy back? Sure, they cried back then, but then they went home and turned your room into a sewing room. Or a room for the treadmill.

I wonder if Mychal will remember to call that first night he gets wasted on Jesus Juice at a frat party. Or text-message her the next morning when he's throwing up said Jesus Juice and skipping class.

4:21 PM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger OneTiredEma said...

And then these people complain that the kids come home to roost until they're 35?

I'm with Mrs Coulter...the once weekly (plus emails from time to time) chats with my mom instead of the daily interaction really set our relationship on a course for the better.

I kind of kicked her out of my dorm room--she had been crying with my roommate's mom, LOL. But it was all ok. Move-in day was certainly NOT a weekend-long affair!

6:16 PM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Yankee T said...

As much as I miss both girls, we expect to hear from them on Sundays (totally arbitrary) just to check in. OD and I do email occasionally, and if she has a quick question she'll instant message me, but really, I'd worry if I heard from them too much.
They need to spread their wings and fly. My philosophy is "hold on tight with open hands." It seems to work for us.

10:03 PM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Jenevieve said...

Oh man, the first time my family came to visit me in college was graduation weekend. If I had called more than once a week (other than when I was figuring out travel plans, etc.) I think they would have worried.

My mom did cry when we got on the plane to move to Scotland, but I think that was more because she knew I wouldn't be home for more than a year.

6:07 AM, September 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home