Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Random Food Plug

A while back, Halloween Lover had a post about her new favorite food product, Fiber One granola bars. I was so impressed with her enthusiasm, I picked up a box on my next trip to the grocery store ("NEW!" screamed the sign on the shelf). Well, she was right to be all excited about them. They rock. I am in love with the peanut butter ones (not as impressed with the chocolate). I am a schmuck, however, and never properly thanked HL. So a belated "thankee," my dearie!

I then started to think about the random food products I love, and how maybe one of my readers would similarly be thankful for a product recommendation. So here's my totally unsolicited Random Food Plug:

Weetabix Crispy Flakes. So good. Best flake cereal, hands down. And definitely in the Top 3 of cereals I have ever had in my lifetime. Our Giant used to carry it... no more. (Boo, Giant!) But NSAH and I were thrilled to discover we can buy six ... SIX!!!... boxes at a time through Amazon.

It is sweetened with brown sugar (if I'm recalling correctly--we don't have a box in the house, so I can't verify). Definitely not corn syrup, high-fructose or otherwise. And it has 4g of fiber per serving! And 3g of protein. And it is so tasty. Sweet, but (because there's real sugar in it) not needlessly so.

How about you? What is a food you'd recommend to all your friends? Preferably something that's available in stores (or relatively available online).

11 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

My "new" thing (and it's not even new, it's just new to me) is the mix-in drink pouches to zazz up bottled water. I can't drink plain water -- it's just too boring. So, I picked up some packets of Fulfill (http://www.sturmfoods.com/products/fulFill.html) and I have been totally addicted to them ever since.

They are sugar-free, calorie-free and even zero carbs. Plus, they come in a lot of different flavors (Wild Berry being my favorite) so you don't have to keep drinking the same thing over and over.

I buy mine at Wal-Mart, but I'm sure they're available in lots of places.

Not really a FOOD thing, but just something I thought I'd share.

10:50 PM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Gina said...

I'm going to say that I am a sucker for the Barilla Pasta Plus. It's multi-grain, has some added Omega-3 and has more protein than regular pasta. As the mother of a four year old whose favorite food is pasta of any kind, it makes me feel a bit better about serving it so often.

1:13 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger PT-LawMom said...

I also love the Barilla pasta. Really tasty stuff! And Weetabix was my absolute favorite cereal as a child in New Zealand. I love that they have it here, too (although it's not the same without the fresh cow's milk).

I am on a protein kick and really love the AchievOne cappucinos for breakfast. They are very hard to find but are the most delious low cal, sugar free iced coffees around. I am also enjoying exploring all of the different flavors of DaVinci sugar free syrups.

2:28 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger Quinn said...

1. For healthy stuff, I'm totally digging Pink Lady Apples. I used to be staunchly Granny-Smith-or-Die! but these ones are crisp and tart and sweet all at once. The kids dig them too.

2. For very much not-healthy stuff, I'm addicted to Ghirardeli chocolate chip brownie mix. Microwave for 20 seconds and you've got heaven on a plate. And I find that I eat less brownies, because they're so rich that I get my fix from less actual brownie material.

4:50 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger susan said...

I'll come back when I have a better idea (right now my brain is going "Pity Party! Poison Ivy!" when I try to think about anything). But I have to say, what a great idea for a post.

I have a box of Fiber One bars waiting at home--haven't opened them yet, but will do so quickly when we get back up there.

10:30 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger K said...

My current food obsessions:

Ak-mak whole wheat crackers. With laughing cow cheese spread over them. yum.

Annie's Green Goddess dressing. On anything.

And, my true downfall - Caribou Coffee Granola Bars. Nothing even remotely nutritious about them. chock full o'sugar and caffeine too!

But my daughter LOVES weetabix. She has it almost every morning.

10:31 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger PT-LawMom said...

Thought of another (can you tell I like talking about food?) - Nature Valley's Sweet & Salty Nut Bars (Peanut). Not healthy but totally yummy and you can sort of rationalize them as "protein". LOL! And I agree that Pink Lady apples are the best!

6:51 PM, June 08, 2007  
Anonymous anonanemone said...

For all the Pink Lady apple lovers out there, another one to try in the fall are Honey Crisps.

1:15 PM, June 09, 2007  
Blogger Bridget said...

can you get oatibix in america yet? they make these bitesized ones with raisins and apples and prebiotic, they are excellent, and as the box proclaims, oatily different

i would pass on some other yummy discovers but my recent trip to tesco reveled that all my favorite things are being discontinued... kettle crisps balsamic vinegar and sea salt, rice treat veggie and paneer, sesame snaps... no!!!

5:43 PM, June 11, 2007  
Blogger OneTiredEma said...

This is going to sound bizarre (unless you wind up eating all the toddler leftovers), but Trader Joe's rice cakes are really the best I have ever had.

Nicely salted, crispy, tastes like FOOD not like soggy cardboard. Excellent with a touch of cream cheese.

7:57 PM, June 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, I'm sorry to have to be the one to bring this up, but... I tried the Fiber One bar with chocolate. At YOUR suggestion. So, what I'm wondering is, did anyone else have... tummy aches? Stinky tummy aches? Just wondering if it was only me.

10:53 PM, June 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home