Friday, January 26, 2007

My baby is scared of me

So I was nursing ALB. Everything was going fine. I was watching "The Simpsons" with him on the boppy pillow, just eating away. Then I felt a tickle in my nose. So I turned my head to the side, closed my eyes, and sneezed once. Feeling better, I turned my head back to look down at the baby.

The baby was staring at me, eyes wide. Then his lower lip turned down and out, he scrunched his eyes, and .... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, my single sneeze frightened the hell outta my poor baby! Only time I've heard him cry like that was when he was in physical pain. It was so sad. And so funny! And the worst part was, he would start to calm down and I'd think he was OK. But then he'd look me in the eye again, and then the lower lip would turn out again and ... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know what to do, so I kept trying to offer das boob. While I was trying, Angry Boy offered this wisdom:

"He's not afraid of the booby."

Thanks, babe. I'll take it from here.

14 Comments:

Anonymous kenju said...

Oh, the poor little guy! The next time you have to sneeze, lay him down and run into another room.

10:27 PM, January 26, 2007  
Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

Poor little guy. And poor mom. Therein lies the power of classical conditioning. The good news is that it will fade...as long as you don't have to sneeze again!

10:24 AM, January 27, 2007  
Blogger Songbird said...

That must have been one angry sneeze...

2:52 PM, January 27, 2007  
Blogger liz said...

Was it a simple kerchuf or a big ol' WAAAAAAACHOOOOOO?

Either way, poor fella.

3:05 PM, January 27, 2007  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

Ha ha! I like the description of baby's face before actually starting to cry.

I had to come visit after reading about the post over at Janet's.

3:23 PM, January 27, 2007  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

Haha, I liked the description of the baby's face, right before starting to cry.

I had to come visit after reading about your post over at Janet's.

3:28 PM, January 27, 2007  
Blogger KLee said...

Poor sweetie! And poor Mommy, having to deal with a totally freaked out little guy.

I *did* love "das boob", though. :P

6:27 PM, January 27, 2007  
Blogger Pendullum said...

And who was the brilliant person that says
'It takes a village to raise a kid'!!!
Glad you have AB as part of YOUR village...

8:02 AM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

Howling at AB. Poor APL, and poor baby.

10:35 AM, January 28, 2007  
Anonymous KathyR said...

AB is killing me. Hilarious.

11:41 AM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger susan said...

This is just too funny all around.

I scare one of our cats when I cough. Perhaps we can form a new set of superheroes. If we can find someone with a headache or something that has similar powers we could really scare some bad guys :).

6:36 PM, February 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our baby gets scared when we cough or sneeze and perfectly fits your description. I don't know what the trick is...........

9:39 AM, April 29, 2007  
Blogger The Mad Lady said...

Hi there... i was trying to find out if someone else had this problem with the sneeze and came across your post. Sometimes I've heard that your soul actually leaves the body when you sneeze and I wonder if our little ones can actually see that happen. who knows. my 11 month old is a happy baby and everything is fine and dandy until i sneeze. she actually gets a tear in her eye and seems scared. who knows?

7:58 PM, May 11, 2007  
Blogger Jennie said...

Hi, I too came across your post while looking for answers on this subject. My 9 month old son has started having the same reaction whenever I sneeze. He hadn't done it before. I'm not sure what's going on with him but I feel awful that he gets so inconsolably upset.

3:09 PM, October 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home