Sunday, November 12, 2006

Yo baby, rent this!

Phantom's use of the word "linoleum" in her comment to the previous post reminded me I've been meaning to do a post on the movies you should all have in your Netflix queue but probably don't. So here it is:
  1. Next Stop, Wonderland: It's laugh-out loud funny, and it's romantic, but it's not what I'd call a "romantic comedy." The linoleum reference doesn't come till the end of the movie, but you'll see why it stuck with me. Hope Davis is wonderful in this, as she is in everything, and Alan Gelfant is so sexy you'll wonder why you haven't seen him in much of anything.

  2. Mumford: Since we're doing Hope Davis movies.... Seriously, this is another "romantic comedy" that's different from the typical Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks fare. Loren Dean (whom you'll remember as Joe from Say Anything, as in "He/likes girls/with names/like Ashley") is really amazing, but everyone in the supporting cast (which includes Alfre Woodard and Jason Lee) is great.

  3. Searching for Bobby Fischer: I've blogged about this movie before, and I'll do it again. This movie was robbed at the '94 Oscars; it was nominated in just one category, for cinematography. It should've been up for Best Picture, Best Actress (Joan Allen), and Best Supporting Actor (Laurence Fishburne or Ben Kingsley).

  4. So I Married an Axe Murderer: One of the most underrated comedies, it stars Mike Myers and Nancy Davis Travis [thanks, Neel!]. There are so many great, absurd lines from this movie, and there are hilarious (albeit brief) apperances by Phil Hartman, Steven Wright and Charles Grodin. Sure, some of it is roll-your-eyes stupid (I'm thinking of the movie's climax, which takes place on the rooftop of a bed and breakfast), but overall it's creative and (most importantly) funny.

  5. Sexy Beast: I like heist movies, and this is one of the best. Ben Kingsley is truly frightening.

  6. The Limey: Terrence Stamp is a sympathetic bad-ass, and Luis Guzman is hilarious.

  7. Jesus of Montreal: If you don't mind subtitles (or if you speak French), this is a great one. I may not be someone who goes to church every Sunday (or ever, admittedly), but I always liked reading the stories of the Bible. This movie updates the story of Jesus in the context of modern-day actors who've been hired to put on the Passion Play.

  8. The Station Agent: Already reviewed here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

It was generous of you not to write, "Phantom's misspelling of the word 'linoleum' reminded me..."

7:27 PM, November 12, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Dude, you blew it--nobody would've noticed if you hadn't said anything. ;-)

8:35 PM, November 12, 2006  
Blogger Quinn said...

I watched "So I Married..." the night before my wedding. Nothing beats the first scene with Mike's parents. Sputnik!

11:24 PM, November 14, 2006  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

By the way, it's Nancy Travis. I think Nancy Davis was Mrs. Reagan's maiden name.

Wholehearted second on Next Stop Wonderland. One of the very best films of 1998, a great year for cinema.

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

7:43 PM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger Catzmaw said...

Congrats on making me supremely jealous with your blogger name. I would have SO wanted to be APL, except my last child was born during the Pre-Bloggian Era.

Anyway, appreciated your take on the Webb matter. You have kids, I have kids. We both would have been tempted to wipe Bush's smirk off his face if we'd had kids in Iraq. I have an adult daughter and son and worry every day that one of them will get a wild hair and decide to join up, especially my 18 year old son. Glad he's an anti-social alternative rocker type.

9:35 PM, November 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home