Thursday, November 02, 2006

William Styron, RIP

My favorite author has died. He was 81 (younger than my grandfather by 4 years).

I first read Styron in high school. Not for a class, but because I'd read excellent reviews of Darkness Visible and wanted to read it for myself. After reading that, I read A Tidewater Morning, a collection of short stories. It was a while before I picked up one of his books again, but in law school I read Set This House on Fire and Lie Down in Darkness. I still have not yet read either book that Styron is best known for: Sophie's Choice or The Confessions of Nat Turner.

7 Comments:

Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

I heard this on NPR this morning and was reminded that I wanted to read The Confessions Of Nat Turner.

10:37 AM, November 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sophie's Choice was good, not what I expected. Yes, it is sad, but it was told in a manner that I didn't expect.

1:03 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger SuzanH said...

I'm always sad when an author I love dies. It's like a friend is gone.

6:15 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

I liked Sophie's Choice a lot.

6:23 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Jody said...

I think I'm going to go looking for one or more of those books at the library tomorrow.....

7:51 PM, November 02, 2006  
Anonymous Lisa V said...

Sophie's Choice was really wonderful. It seems like a lifetime ago that I read it.

12:35 AM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

Sophie's Choice is my mom-in-law's absolute favorite. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of an amazing author.

12:37 PM, November 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home