Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Very thankful

Out of curiosity I looked at my posts from last Thanksgiving to see what I was doing then... and apparently, I still wasn't getting much sleep. But at least back then, I could catch up on sleep eventually.

OK, OK, enough whining. (I already whined over at Phantom's, and I don't mean to start up here. I actually wanted to say that I'm thankful for the following:
  • My friends. I am a firm believer that much of what I've gotten in life, I've gotten not because of hard work or because of some innate gifts but because of just good dumb luck. It may have been hard work coupled with some natural intelligence that got me into law school, but it was luck that seated me next to one of my now-best-friends during orientation. It may have been hard work during law school that landed me a spot at my current firm, but it was luck that put me on an assignment with Nutso Ranter, who then became one of my best friends. I'm thankful for them, and I'm thankful for all of you, who can share in my happiness when I'm glad or cheer me up with just a comment or an email when I'm down.

  • My family. I watched the movie Spanglish yesterday. It occurred to me while watching the ending that so much of what we do in life is the product of either trying to be like our parents, or trying to be very much NOT like our parents. My parents aren't perfect, but they were good parents. If more people had parents like my parents, there'd be fewer assholes in this world, of that I am sure. And I'm thankful for the rest of my family, too: all the aunts, uncles, cousins. We're a goofy bunch, and very loud when we're all together, but we've got nothing but love for each other.

  • My husband. Duh. I couldn't do this, do life, with anyone else. He's the best.

  • My boys. I know I'm complaining a lot now, but they do light up my life. AB is just the greatest kid ever (and gorgeous to boot), and I'm sure New Kid will inspire the same emotions once he's old enough to do more than eat, sleep and poop. Heck, his smiles (a relatively new phenomenon) crack me up already.


I'm also thankful for everything we have: a roof over our heads, money in the bank, the security that comes with that, and good jobs.

I hope you all have a good Thanksgiving, and have many things to be thankful for.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Happy Thanksgiving to the half-Angry Family! ;)

11:03 AM, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous roonie said...

You have a great life, and a lot to be thankful for. It's nice to see it on paper AND in practice.

1:29 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Angry Family!

4:33 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger kenju said...

That's a wonderful post, APL, and I hope your parents know you feel that way.

I have so much to be grateful for and I try to remember to say thanks for it everyday. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

5:04 PM, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous *Justine* said...

Aww..I hope eventually to get the great husband and kids like you have, you seem like you have such a great life together! But I do have plenty in my single life to be thankful for, and I am. :) Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Justine

9:35 PM, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous Lisa V said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your boys, big and small.

11:43 AM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

12:56 PM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger Mieke said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

1:49 PM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

11:12 PM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger Songbird said...

I hope it was a day as full and delightful as your list of thanksgivings!

7:48 AM, November 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home