Friday, November 24, 2006

Turkey Day report

For the most part: Yum! The stuffing turned out OK, the much-maligned green bean bake was delicious, and the sweet potato dish was awesome. The turkey... well, I've cooked turkeys before and they've turned out very nicely. But this was our first year using a roaster, and I am not happy. First off, I gave myself a killer steam burn on my thumb and wrist, which hurt so much I wound up eating Thanksgiving dinner with my left hand in a bowl of cool water. Second, the bird looked gross because it didn't brown on top. Anyone else ever use a roaster to do a bird? Have any tips?

Hope everyone had a great day.

6 Comments:

Anonymous KathyR said...

Ooh! I'm so glad you liked it! I have some left in my refrigerator and am looking forward to having a dab of it with my lunch. Yum.

Ouch! Never used a roaster...

3:25 PM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger kenju said...

Thanks for the link to the recipe. I copied it and will try it soon. I don't have any experience with a roaster, but I had had one on my list to buy and now maybe I don't want to bother. I will be interested to see if you get any advice about them.

8:47 PM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger liz said...

Those sweet potatoes sound delicious. I've never used a roaster, 'cause the recipe I use doesn't call for one.

But I do use a dutch oven to roast prime rib and the rule is to open the pot away from you and use oven mitts instead of pot holders.

So sorry about your hand.

10:42 PM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger TSC Girl said...

When it comes to poultry it's all about the rotisserie! Hope your hand feels better soon, I know how burns can sting for days.

9:49 AM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Mieke said...

I don't even know what a roaster is. I was excused from cooking dinner this year because finals are coming up! UGH!

Sorry about your burn. I got one too - yesterday when I was baking cookies with Pony. OWWW.

7:00 PM, November 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom always cooked it mostly inthe roaster and then put it in the oven for a bit to brown. Or maybe the other ways around ... I bet both would work.

5:56 PM, December 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home