Friday, November 10, 2006

It's a bullet-y day in the neighborhood, a bullet-y day for a neighbor...

  • Angry Baby completed his first successful daytrip. He was a good boy, considering he had to spend most of the day in his car seat. He has now been in four states, the little traveler.

  • The weather at the shore was great. I'm so glad I picked Thursday to go. It seemed like everyone was outside with his or her dog.

  • And the best news: I found a place to rent. Hooray! 2 1/2 blocks from the beach, 3 blocks from the Wawa. Sweet.

  • Worst part of the trip: While I was in the drive-thru line for McD's, a Large Stinging Insect flew in through the sunroof and immediately stung me on my throat. It did not die but instead hovered, buzzing, along the neckline of my T-shirt, making me panic and think that it might actually descend into my shirt and my now-heaving bazooms. I quickly opened the car door, though, and swatted at my chesticular region until I saw a black blur go out the door. I then closed the door and sunroof. I proceded to order a bottled water to accompany my fries and cheeseburger, and drove off with one hand on the wheel, and one hand holding the ice cold bottle to my sore neck. Well, at least it didn't sting the baby, who was oblivious in the backseat. I hadn't been stung by a bee in maybe 20 years. Not fun, in case you've forgotten.

  • Our cable is having issues. More precisely, our DVR cable box. Grrr.

  • I am loving the Smart Pop 100-calorie bags of Kettle Corn. No trans fat! Huzzah.

  • AB helped me make our tuna sandwiches on rye for dinner tonight. He ate the whole thing, as well as the trail mix I'd given him on the side. Then he ate some of NSAH's walnuts. Then he wanted a banana. Then he and I split an apple. Plus, he had two small glasses of milk. Have I bragged enough about what a good, adventurous eater AB is? I have? Good, because Angry Baby is destined to grow up to eat only grilled cheese sandwiches on white bread (crusts cut off, of course).

  • Speaking of the baby (again), he's growing like a monster. He's in his 6th week, so I'm all set for that growth spurt he's supposed to have.

  • Took a nice walk with him today. Went to the bank to cash a check (small reimbursement from the hospital--nice!) and then I took him to the wine store I've always wanted to check out. Never too soon to take a child on a booze run, I say. Picked up a pinot noir that I'd never tried before. NSAH and I had some with dinner (yes, I had red wine with my tuna on rye--shut up), and it was excellent.

  • NSAH and I are going to try to drink red wine more often, because of the health benefits (we're much more likely to have a beer or a soda with dinner). Does anyone else drink red wine? What do you like? More specifically, what do you like that's cheap?

15 Comments:

Blogger Butterflyfish said...

Wine goes with anything, even tuna sandwitches. Yellowtail makes good and cheap varieties of just about any red. I like their whites better though. Hubby loves the shiraz.

8:46 AM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger kenju said...

I prefer red wine to anything other than Dom Perignon, and since I can't afford that - it's red all the way. I like:
pinot noir
beaujeaulais (sp?)
petit syrah
and shiraz is wonderful (The Australian varieties are cheap and good, Yellowtail, I think it is)
cabernet sauvignon (heavier)

ENJOY!

9:07 AM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Holy linolium. I'm impressed at your ability to carry on after a bee sting. It's situations like that that make me hate having to be the grown-up.

10:21 AM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger mc said...

Mmm, yeah, I love red wine. We have a great little wine shop/bakery in our neighborhood and try just about anything they sell that's under $12 or so. If your wine shop is a good one, just start trying stuff and then talk to the staff about what you like, and they'll point you to more good stuff. At the moment, we're particularly big fans of Yard Dog, an Australian wine that's a mix of petit verdot, cabernet and malbec. And, no, I have no idea what petit verdot is.

If you want to venture beyond the Yellow Tails of the world, malbecs from Argentina are very tasty and usually under $10.

10:23 AM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger kenju said...

I just thought of the French brand of red wine I like. It is George Du Boeuf. Try some. Their beaujolais neuveaux (not spelled right, I know) is wonderful.

10:23 AM, November 11, 2006  
Anonymous Lex said...

I'll second the motion for Malbec, although I tend to want to have that with something substantial, like steak or roast.

Don't forget Italy: Atlas Peak Sangiovese is excellent, albeit a little pricey, and you can generally get decent Chianti for cheap.

I usually drink merlot with tuna.

I'd also recommend Westbend Chambourcin, made right here in the NC. It's got a little spice action going on, so it's good with anything that's got a lot of spice in it, from blackened fish to Mexican or Thai to pepper steak.

I can't do pinot -- tastes too much like barnyard. USED barnyard, if you get my drift.

And for a surprisingly good and surprisingly cheap cabernet, I recommend Twin Fin -- it's got a picture of something like a '57 Chevy on the bottle. The paper's wine critic had a blind tasting last Christmas, and we were all blown away by how good it was for the money.

11:15 AM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger DevilMacDawg said...

Tuna is an ideal food to pair with a pinot noir, so in my opinion, you paired it perfectly. So there.

As for my tastes - I'm very fond of red wine myself. In the 'cheap, everyday' category, I really do like the Yellow Tail Cab/Merlot blend, as well as the Shiraz (if I'm in the mood for that). I am still a fan of the Concha y Toro cab/merlot and also the merlot. I've found a malbec out of Argentina by Trapiche that's great with beef or (get ready) TUNA! Last, and never least, I remember the Two Buck Chuck red varietals well.

Red wine is very good for you - not only does it have physical health benefits, but it improves the mental outlook as well.

11:19 AM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger DevilMacDawg said...

OH - and the recommendation for Sangiovese is great. As is Beaujolais Nouveau. The 2006 release date for B. Nouveau is Nov. 16 (always the 3d Thursday in Nov - a week before Thanksgiving). My family has a tradition of pairing this wine with our turkey, and I must say, it goes.

11:23 AM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger Mommygoth said...

For affordable but tasty, try Firesteed's Pinot Noir. Yummy!

12:50 PM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

This is great--thanks for all the recs!

Oh, and DMacD, we always have the Beaujolais Nouveau at Turkey Day dinner, too! I'm excited just thinking about it.

2:00 PM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger susan said...

Our favorite cheap red wine of the moment is Red Truck--I forget what the grapes are, but it's a good all purpose wine.

We have a great wine shop not too far from our neighborhood, and the very helpful staff don't look down on people like us who say "can you suggest something interesting that's red and cheap?" So we don't drink the same wines very often since we're usually exploring whatever the suggestions were. Tonight we had a montepulciano (villa cerrerina).

I'm totally impressed with the bee sting story: what poise!

8:20 PM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger Summer said...

Wow, AB has to start hanging out with Little Girl...maybe she'll imitate his good eating habits! I don't know what I'd do without grilled cheese and chicken fingers!

Sorry to hear about the bee sting :o(

12:18 AM, November 12, 2006  
Blogger honeykbee said...

lol @ "chesticular". Good one (um, that is to say, the description, not the you-getting-stung part.)

1:13 AM, November 12, 2006  
Blogger Jody said...

Did you hear the NPR foodie station yesterday? There was a guy saying that the resterevol (or whatever) in red wine breaks down within an hour after opening a bottle. So unless you want to drink a bottle every day, you might want to look into boxed red wines. The segment was about how they've improved and now there are great choices out there. Plus: the box fits pretty nicely into your fridge. And the guy claimed wine in a box lasts a month after "tapping" it.

When I buy wine, I just use those little wine-spectator points labels to choose. We buy all our wine these days from the grocery store. And I'm a cab-sauv and a sauv-blanc sort of gal.

Also someone who thinks, mmmmmm, wine in a box.

7:36 AM, November 13, 2006  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I would have lost my shit with the bee sting!

Red wine, hmmm. Josh drinks it occasionally, but I don't love it. I do love me some manischewitz, though.

Can I come to the beach to visit you? Please?

1:40 PM, November 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home