Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Good mornin', America. How are ya?

I was convinced that all the hype about a Democratic revolution (or, more accurately, a "kick out the incumbents" revolution) was just that: hype. I was stunned when my husband woke me up this morning and told me the Dems had taken the House.

The good: See above. Granted, Virginians reelected their incumbents in the House, but that doesn't really bother me too much. These are not crazy folks--I have in the past voted for them. Didn't vote for the incumbents this time, but their return to Congress doesn't worry me. More good: Deval Patrick! Wow!

The bad: Virginians approved a constitutional amendment that not only prevents gay people from marrying, but it also prevents all Virginians from entering into contracts that express their wishes, so long as those wishes could be considered as conferring the benefits of marriage. (So if NSAH and I weren't married but had entered into a signed agreement regarding the custody of our boys should either of us die, that contract could be null and void. Lovely.)

The ugly: Well, the recount in the Allen-Webb race could get ugly. For more concrete examples of ugly, read this.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't that Virginia law restricting contracts impinge on your Federal right to make and enter into contracts? States can't restrict your federal rights. Someone should sue.

10:57 AM, November 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone WILL sue. Thank goodness. I'm not from VA but will assume APL has correctly characterized that law -- that's just screaming 'constitutional challenge.' So, so wrong.
Makes me hate the fact that I tend to vote for the type of a**hats who write this kind of legislation. Shit like this will make me a liberal yet.

8:20 PM, November 08, 2006  
Anonymous not anonymous said...

lawmommy is that you? I haven't heard anyone else use a**hats like you used to. How are you? I miss your blog.

9:56 PM, November 08, 2006  
Anonymous nsah said...

Is "anonymous" an Iraq veteran we know?

If so, good to see you.

If not, good to see you, anyway.

12:15 AM, November 09, 2006  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Frustrating and exhilarating in the same day, huh?

9:58 AM, November 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home