Thursday, October 19, 2006

Vanity

I get points for just being dressed today (in non-elastic-waist pants, no less!): the new guy was a terror last night, eating and crying, crying and eating. I doubt that I got more than 2 hours of sleep last night/this morning.

After his 9:15 a.m. meal (which continued for about an hour), I ditched him at home with NSAH and took off on a walk to the closest Starbucks. I now have a skim latte and a pumpkin scone in my tummy. Both were divine. (Seriously--the foam on the latte was so creamy it looked like meringue. I actually went back to the barista after adding my sugar and told him it was the best-looking foam I'd ever seen on a latte. I honestly considered asking the dude what his hours were, so I could be sure to come back only when he was working.)

Love walking around in my neighborhood, and it's a shame that I wasn't able to do more of it during the summer when we had more daylight. But work was crazy, and toward the end of my pregnancy (by which I mean months 6 through 9), I didn't feel up to much in the way of physical activity.

On my walk, I got to see a lot of personalized license plates. In Virginia, "vanity plates" are very cheap, I think $10, so lots of people get them. I passed DOGSRGR8, UNC PHD and HARYPTR. I had a vanity plate back when I was in college. I initally wanted a reference to the sport I played, but--being the superstitious (i.e., Red Sox fan) person that I am--I figured that the second I did that, I'd get a career-ending injury like a torn ACL or a massive, Steve-Young-type concussion. No thanks.

So I decided to put my school and the year of my expected graduation on my plate. I don't know why I didn't think THAT would jinx anything. Well, sure enough, I didn't graduate that year (on the plus side, I graduated a semester early, so I graduated before the date on my license plate--I'm a total geek, I know). Still, that was stupid of me.

I'm thinking about getting a new vanity plate, but given that college experience, I'm naturally cautious about what I put on it. I won't put any reference to my husband or kids on it, 'cause that's just asking for trouble. I could try to put a college reference or sports team reference on there. I doubt my having a plate with "GO SOX" or some other variant would cause the demise of an entire franchise. I am wary of putting something law-related on there. The day I get a law-related vanity plate is the day I get fired from my job, probably.

Virginia's got a cool site to play around with plates, though. I must give serious props to our DMV for this.

6 Comments:

Blogger halloweenlover said...

Yum! I wish I lived closer, I'd totally come have a pumpkin scone and latte with you!

11:57 AM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think the choice of a zillion possible plate designs is hysterical. Not just the obvious ones like "kids first" or "remember 9/11" Homeschooling? check. USS Cole? check.

2:17 PM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger Songbird said...

You sound a lot perkier after your tough night than I feel after mine, but maybe a trip to Starbucks, instead of the vet, would have helped!

2:42 PM, October 19, 2006  
Anonymous nutso-ranter said...

You are CLEARLY delusional after your long night. I can just see you, in your non-elastic pants, saying "Hey, Starbucks guy. This is the best -- froth -- EVER!" Does NSAH know how you feel about froth-man? This sounds serious.

ha ha.

Sorry to hear the kid was such a monster last night. It makes me tired just thinking about it. Glad you're hanging tough.

Can I tell you how hard it is to type in that word verification word? It makes me dizzy.

3:28 PM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger TSC Girl said...

FYI Skim milk is way easier to foam up when steamed than regular milk. Making a skim cappuccino is much easier b/c a capp is espresso and a cup of foam [a total waste if you ask me]. Can you tell I was a barista shortly? :)

3:36 PM, October 19, 2006  
Anonymous KLee said...

For a vanity plate, OF COURSE you should get "APL"! :)

8:52 PM, October 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home