Friday, October 27, 2006

Three-sentence movie reviews

So I've been watching a lot of movies while out on leave (hooray for Netflix!). Here are my brief reviews of what I've seen so far:

The Cooler: Very good, if you can suspend disbelief. The actors pull it off so well, especially the always awesome William H. Macy. Alec Baldwin also lends depth and complexity to what could've been a one-dimensional character.

Transamerica: Not as good as I had hoped; I guess it didn't live up to the hype. The whole time I was watching, I kept wondering if Stanley/Bree had spent much time around women growing up, because he/she sure didn't act like any women I have ever known. I did like the character of Bree's sister, but she wasn't onscreen very much.

In Good Company: As the reviews had said, this was a nice, enjoyable movie. It had a few laugh-out-loud scenes, courtesy of Topher Grace. And Dennis Quaid was wonderful throughout.

V for Vendetta: Wow. I liked this movie a lot more than I had expected. Some of the speeches were over the top, but I still think that it was an important movie to make in this political atmosphere.

Akeelah and the Bee: Can't watch a movie in which Laurence Fishburne is a mentor to a child and not compare it to Searching for Bobby Fischer, one of my all-time favorite movies and one of the most underrated of all time. It was good, but not Bobby Fischer great--the ending was unbelievable but still enjoyable, if that makes sense. Also, I am in love with J.R. Villarreal, even if he was only born in 1992.

Inside Man: I like a good heist movie as much as the next person, but this had too many flaws for me to really enjoy it. I figured out too many of the "surprises" as I was watching the movie. Also, I never really bought into some of the characters' motives.

That's it for now. I've seen a bunch of other movies, but I'll review them later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous roonie said...

I've had V is for Vendetta sitting in my apartment for almost three weeks. Why I can't bring myself to watch it, I don't know. I will, though, I will. And I completely agree with your review of Transamerica.

1:51 PM, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous *Justine* said...

I liked 'in good company' a lot. They run it on cable frequently. (I like the songs by Iron & Wine, too.) Haven't gotten to most of those other movies yet.

By the way I started watching "your show" (Friday Night Lights) -- watched this past week & I think I taped the week before, so if I can find it, I'll watch that one too. ;) I like it so far.

2:29 PM, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous Justine said...

P.S. I did see The Cooler -- didn't really like the movie, but good acting. Some of the violence really made me cringe :-P

3:33 PM, October 31, 2006  
Anonymous Josh said...

I thought your reviews were decent, except your thoughts on "V for Vendetta." I thought it was an overdone piece of unoriginal garbage.

1:04 AM, December 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home