Sunday, October 08, 2006

Random bullets of sleeplessness

  • Go Tigers!

  • This new guy sure can eat. Saturday night (defined as the 10-hour period from 10 pm to 8 am) I don't think I got even 3 hours of sleep. Thankfully last night he woke me up only a few times, so I'm feeling tremendously rested. That's not sarcasm--I'd forgotten how well my body adjusts to surviving on 5-6 hours of sleep a night when I'm doing the new-mom thing.

  • New guy also has his eyes open more during the day than AB did at this age. AB basically just slept and ate during his first few weeks. That's my recollection, anyway. This guy likes to look around at his surroundings. And he has a relatively good temperment, except during the apparently traumatic diaper changes. Oh, the indignity! The wailing!

  • Like my first maternity leave, this time off is allowing me to catch up on movies. I've already seen: Hotel Rwanda, Walk the Line, School of Rock, and X-Men 3: The Last Stand. Hotel Rwanda had me crying, Walk the Line was very good, and School of Rock had its moments. As someone who loved (to the point of near obsession) the first two X-Men movies, I can only say I was very disappointed in the third one. I wasn't emotionally invested at all.

  • I'm also enjoying the new fall TV season ("Ugly Betty" and "Studio 60" are my two new shows, and this week is the start of "30 Rock").

  • I still don't fit into my jeans (even my mid-pregnancy "fat jeans"), but I've lost 20 pounds in less than 2 weeks, which is nice. Still, thank goodness for trackpants.

  • The new Toyota ads that use the song "Vehicle" aren't making me want to buy a Toyota, but I am heading over to iTunes to see if I can buy that Ides of March song.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Glad you got a little caught up on the sleep. Sounds like he'll be a grower pretty quickly with that eating schedule!

Too funny on the Toyota "song ad". Wonder how their marketing department feels about that?

11:57 AM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Damn, if you can use the words "tremendously rested" without being ironic at this stage of the game, you are some sort of Super Mom.

However. There is a serious shortage of new baby pictures around here. I'm just saying.

12:22 PM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger Songbird said...

Belated congratulations! I am only today going to the post below the one about gas prices and figuring out you've had the baby!! (D'oh!)

1:26 PM, October 08, 2006  
Anonymous Susan said...

Well, if he likes to look around at his surroundings, surely he'd like to look at your blog and see his photo?

Sounds like another round of new motherhood suits you!

7:07 PM, October 08, 2006  
Anonymous Lisa V said...

Ditto what Phantom said.

But I do remember that 4 hours in a row made me feel human back then. If I only got four hours sleep now, I would have to call in sick for work.And home.

Isn't it better the second time? I think in so many ways just having the anxiety level down helped so much.

9:05 PM, October 08, 2006  
Blogger SuzanH said...

Gah?

How did I miss that you had the baby? Am I THAT self-involved?

Congratulations and I'm glad you're getting some rest. And getting to watch movies and t.v.

9:55 AM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Holy moses, 20 pounds? WOW!

1:09 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

What Suzan H said. CONGRATULATIONS, APL!!! I feel so out of it.

2:22 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

OK, OK, y'all, surely you've noticed the dearth of photos on this site. So unless and until the new guy flips the bird like his big brother AB did, it'll be a while before I put a picture of him up on the blog.

3:02 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger liz said...

Glad you're getting at least a little rest. I can't wait to meet your new little guy.

9:40 PM, October 09, 2006  
Anonymous Genevieve said...

Good to hear you're feeling fairly well rested! That's terrific so early. And so cool that the little guy is looking around and taking notice.

12:48 PM, October 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Toyota "Vehicle" commercial does anyone notice that the singer says, "Great Jod in Heaven, you know I love you" instead of Great God in Heaven? I think this what I'm hearing. Is this some sort of conspiracy??

9:20 PM, October 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home