Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!

I have a couple of substantive posts rattling around in my head, but I don't have the energy right now to write them. So here's a list of my Halloween favorites (in honor of HalloweenLover).

Favorite Halloween candy: Reese's peanut butter cups. Mmm, loaded with transfats! So they're yummy AND scary. Perfect for Halloween.

Least favorite Halloween candy: Almond Joy or Mounds. I hate coconut.

Favorite scary movie: Silence of the Lambs. It came out in 1991, but I didn't see it till it was out on video in 1993. Seeing it on a smaller screen did not diminish the suspense. I still remember watching it for the first time at my friend J's house with 3 other friends. I and one other guy, S., hadn't seen it before--we were huddled up against one another for most of the film, peering at the screen through tiny slits in our fingers.

Favorite slasher movie: I was a huge fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street series. The odd numbered ones tended to be better (that would be the Reverse Star Trek rule). My absolute favorite was the third, Dream Warriors. It had a great cast (Patricia Arquette and Laurence Fishburne).

Favorite costume (childhood): Princess Leia. I remember that my mom had a hell of a time putting my hair into those crazy Cinnabon braids, so she called my aunt to come over and help her with it. My mom made my white gown, and I had a real Star Wars blaster. I wish I had a picture to post. I looked awesome.

Favorite costume (college): We got pretty creative in college. One year, there were some fires being set at the dorms in the southern part of campus (they were small fires, and no one was hurt--just some property damaged). My friends and I decided to go as "south campus on fire." We made awesome building costumes with paper flames coming out of them. At the last minute, another friend of mine called and complained that she wanted to go out with us but didn't have a costume. So I told her she should be the as-yet-uncaptured arsonist. When we went out in public, we buildings started running, and the arsonist chased after us with her lighter and (empty) gas can. All the while, I was carrying a boombox with Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House" playing in a continous loop.

God, college was fun.

Favorite costume (adulthood): Shooting star. I am a fan of the zero-effort costume. All you need is a cardboard cutout of a star. Wrap it in aluminum, and put it around your neck on a string. Then carry a water gun and squirt people. Ta da!

Favorite Halloween TV special: The first Simpsons Treehouse of Horror is still the best. James Earl Jones is the coolest, and I love the Twilight Zone "How to Cook Humans" parody.

12 Comments:

Anonymous *Justine* said...

“I’ll help you catch him, Clarice.” :)

Brooke Smith turns up in a lot of movies lately, mostly as the wry, sympathetic best friend. ("Melinda and Melinda" and "In her shoes," to give some examples.) She's a good actress, very natural.

Can you believe, I never saw any of the Nightmare on Elm Street series, never saw any of the “Halloween” movies….so now I’m trying to think, have I *ever* seen any slasher flick?? Maybe not.


Hee Princess Leia, I remember seeing a ton of those while growing up. (I don’t think I ever did it – I’d have to ask my mom for sure, though)

3:32 PM, October 31, 2006  
Anonymous KLee said...

My mother was a "creative type" (probably where I get it from...) and I had a multitude of homemade (and really odd) costumes. I went around one year as a tube of toothpaste. I had a toothpaste "tube" made out of sheets, and a crimped posterboard "cap" hat. I thought I was SO cool. I repeated the costume in college, because I knew no one else would have one.

I never had hair long enough to be Leia. (Bummer.)

I'm also with you totally on the Reese's cups. And people -- pronounce that right! It's "Reese-ez", **NOT** "Reesie." That drives me nutty every year.

3:57 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger honeykbee said...

I'm going to have "burning down the house" playing in my head on a continuous loop now. Thanks for that.

4:20 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I rawked as Princess Leia. I'm just saying.

4:51 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Seeking Solace said...

I love Silence of the Lambs. It scares by messing with you head1

I love the Simpson's Tree house of Horror series too. My favorite is the re-telling of The Raven.

6:43 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Songbird said...

That burning buildings story is the Best.Halloween.Story.Ever.

6:48 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Butterflyfish said...

Ok, seriously, I could have written most of this post. Excep the campus fire part. That was much more clever than I oculd have been. I hate coconut.

7:01 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger mc said...

I hate coconut, too.

My best college costume was the year I went as Courtney Love. Talk about little to no effort -- ripped pantyhose, a skimpy negligee, smudged makeup and, oh yeah, lots of alcohol. The pictures of that one could be used against me some day...

8:07 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger liz said...

Damn, I wish I had gone to college with you.

8:33 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Now I want some reese's peanut butter cups! Thanks a lot!

I love this meme! I might have to do it! I love silence of the lambs too, but I have to say that the exorcist is my all-time favorite. SOOOOO scary!

Those costumes are awesome!

8:56 PM, October 31, 2006  
Anonymous Lex said...

I have no memory of this, but I am told my freshman roommate and I went to a Halloween party as angel dust and a coke spoon. Obviously I don't know who was which.

First Halloween in New York: Alice in Wonderland theme (me, six gay guys and about 20 straight women), so I went as the Mock Turtle.

Second and final Halloween in New York: Alter-ego theme, so I went as Keith Richards, right down to the eyeliner.

Believe it or not, I did better socially as the Mock Turtle.

10:04 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Summer said...

I LOVE Reese's PB cups!!! And Kit-Kats.

My favorite halloween TV special is It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown....still brings me back to my childhood days everytime I watch it!

Happy (belated) halloween!

7:33 PM, November 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home