Friday, October 20, 2006

Future jukebox hero

Cute email from NSAH regarding his drive to preschool this morning with AB:

Funny conversation in the car as I tried to understand what he was saying. “Shooker bonsy meet?” “What?” “What’s snooker boney mean?” “Snooker boney mean?”

Turned out he was curious about the line in Carbon Leaf’s Life Less Ordinary: “The night you came into my life, well it shook the bones of me, shook the bones of me.” I tried to explain that he had met a wonderful person who had changed his life … how do you explain metaphor to a 3-year-old?


I love that AB is trying to learn more about the songs he listens to these days. Just 6 months ago, he was asking only, "What's this song called?" Now he also asks, "Who sings this?" And he's getting more and more interested in the lyrics. You're going to think I'm crazy, but I am seriously thinking about getting him a little drum kit when he's a little older--he's got good rhythm, and I think he'd make a good little rocker.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Genevieve said...

I don't think you're crazy - we're thinking about a little drum kit too, though not until we finish the basement so there's a place a little removed from the main level for him to play it!

3:54 PM, October 20, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

APL, when my son was small, we used to discuss the lyrics of music and what we thought they meant....I think this - along with conversations about metaphor - are wonderful!

5:32 PM, October 20, 2006  
Blogger liz said...

He would make an excellent rocker!

8:22 PM, October 20, 2006  
Blogger kenju said...

One of mr. kenju's aunts gave our son a drum when he was a baby. He had good rhythm too, but he nearly drove us crazy before it fell apart.

7:42 AM, October 21, 2006  
Anonymous NSAH said...

As long as he never picks up on what's really going on in "I Like You" (The Dandy Warhols' Bohemian Like You), that's fine!

"Daddy, why does that guy have to sleep on the couch when the singer's there?"

1:21 PM, October 21, 2006  
Anonymous nutso-ranter said...

You're definitely crazy APL. First the Starbuck's froth... now a drum set? I suggest you make no more decisions until the little one is sleeping through the night.

AB would be a GREAT rocker... but unless you have a sound-proof room, reconsider the drum set. My mom found a giant bass drum at a garage sale when I was little. She brought it home for me, and my Dad looked at her like she had grown a third eyeball. They were bombarded with bass drumming for the next 5-6 years.

I love that AB likes Carbon Leaf... I think "Shooky Bones Mean" is a pretty good guess.

8:00 AM, October 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home