Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The best new TV show you're not watching

Friday Night Lights isn't doing so well in the ratings. It's on Tuesdays (tonight!) at 8 p.m., which is probably not helping (I think it would do better in the 9 p.m. slot). You should watch it.

Now, granted, this is coming from the woman who admits that sports movies make her cry. In fact, as I type this, I'm watching Rudy again on cable (and trying not to cry).

But I think even for people who are not into football in particular or sports in general, Friday Night Lights is an entertaining and interesting show. It's beautifully filmed, much like the Peter Berg-directed movie of the same name that came out a couple of years ago. There's a realism to this show that I'm not used to seeing on TV (certainly not network TV). Not every storyline is pure gold (I really don't care much about Tyra, the trashy girl), but most of the characters are compelling, and everyone can act.

If you missed the first two episodes, you can read the recaps here. Anyone else watching this show besides me and NSAH?

7 Comments:

Blogger DevilMacDawg said...

Yes, Mr. Mac and I are watching - it's good! If there's anything I love more than college football, it's high school football. And small-town high school football to boot. Life is grand. I'm watching several of the pooh-pooh-ed shows this year - Studio 60, Jericho, and FNL.

12:33 PM, October 17, 2006  
Anonymous *Justine* said...

"Anyone else watching this show besides me and NSAH?"

A little bit. I saw part of the 1st episode, and then last week I was watching Gilmore Girls but I sneaked a little of FNL on the commercials. Missed most of it. (Yes, I need DVR.) I'll try to watch this week, I should b/c GG always reruns their episodes a lot anyway....

I always remember Connie Britton from her role in "The Brothers McMullen," she played the oldest brother's wife.

3:43 PM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

Count me in. Boyfriend got me hooked last week. :) I'll try to watch it tonight (i don't have cable, and it is raining. Will have to see how my reception is....), and if not then i'll watch it on his DVR. :) He keeps getting me hooked on new shows....last night I watched all the past episodes of Heroes...SO GOOD!, and the new episode of Studio 60. Don't need more shows! :)

6:34 PM, October 17, 2006  
Anonymous NSAH said...

The only problem with this show is that it's too well done. The first episode left me emotionally drained. Not in the "hey, let's see how many kids we can kill THIS week" sense of a typical ER episode. I actually enjoyed the experience.

The second episode was a little slow, though that might be unfair after the premiere's masterful introduction of all the key characters.

Tonight's was terrific. Everyone's duality of good and bad on display. Except Smash's. He's a jerk.

9:32 PM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger La Turista said...

I'm SO glad (some)people are watching! Being a Texas girl, I lived those days, in spades, and the portrayl of that culture is dead on. But I also agree that the show itself, regardless of the subject matter, is really well-done and NEW and DIFFERENT. Thank you, Jeebus! Also, it's filmed in Austin, so it's like mandatory that we all watch it.

10:31 PM, October 17, 2006  
Anonymous terrilynn said...

I'm watching it and loving it, but hating the time slot. I had to give up my Tuesday date with Mark Harmon so I could DVR both Friday Night Lights and Gilmore Girls. But Kyle Chandler is certainly a fine substitute imaginary boyfriend, isn't he?

10:12 PM, October 18, 2006  
Anonymous lawandmommyhood said...

Hmmm. I haven't been watching (largly because I don't watch any tv these days... but I can TiVo). As a former middle school cheerleader coach in a small Texas town, I should probably watch for the flashbacks.

7:44 AM, October 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home