Sunday, September 03, 2006

This tropical depression is making me sleepy

So Ernesto wasn't even a hurricane, yet we lost power at home for more than 24 hours. It makes no sense. We retained power through the winds of Friday night. We lost power during the lackadasical misting of Saturday morning.

I spent last night with AB at my parents' house. (NSAH stayed home so that Small Dog wouldn't be scared or lonely in the dark house alone.) AB and I were sharing a bedroom, my old bedroom: him on his little Nemo mattress on the floor, me in the bed. At 4 in the morning, my boy woke me up because he couldn't find his velociraptor. I found it for him, under his pillow, and he said, "OK, I can get up now." Um, no. You need to sleep for at least 3 more hours. "OK, I sleep in mommy and daddy's bed." And he proceeded to try to climb up into the high bed. Out of exhaustion, I let safety be damned and helped him up there. Then I maneuvered some other furniture to one side of the bed so that if he knocked into it, maybe he'd at least roll the other way back toward the center of the bed.

I needn't have worried. For the next hour and a half, he tapped, prodded, kicked, patted and talked to me as I tried to sleep all the way on the edge of my side of the bed. I don't know how cosleepers do it.

I think he finally must've fallen asleep at 5:30, and so did I. I woke a little at 7, realized my boy was passed out next to me, and rolled over and went right back to sleep. I finally woke up for real at 8, and woke him up, too. The first thing he said to me when he opened his eyes and saw me lying next to him: "Mommy, where is my velociraptor?"

8 Comments:

Blogger LawMommy said...

Oh my God, I can totally relate to that story. Laughing my ass off over here.

10:15 PM, September 03, 2006  
Blogger Songbird said...

Where is my velociraptor, indeed.

10:46 PM, September 03, 2006  
Blogger BernieRA said...

I just KNOW that the next time I get someone elses foot in my posterior in the middle of the night I will LOL remembering this post.

Wife- bed hog
Daughter- HUGE bed hog.

Daughter has run my son out one side of the bed on vacation, only to run him out the OTHER side when he goes around.

10:47 PM, September 03, 2006  
Blogger Quinn said...

I've been there! DQ is quite the bedhog. And can I just say how happy I am not to be in hurricane territory this season?

Keep safe.

11:59 PM, September 03, 2006  
Anonymous liz said...

This is why MM, MS, and I can't share even a king-sized bed.

2:29 PM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

"I don't know how cosleepers do it" - AMEN.

10:19 PM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger ccw said...

I just snorted, spit, and damn near choked.

Nonami is the only baby I have ever been able to sleep with b/c he does not thrash. I have no idea how people sleep with children that are larger than cats.

2:22 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I can commiserate. I get almost no sleep when my kids crawl into bed next to me. The snuggling is comforting and cute for a while, and then I'm ready for solo sleeping again. There's only so much poking and kicking and BREATHING I can take.

2:12 PM, September 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home