Saturday, September 23, 2006

Lazy Saturday*

I am trying my best not to have this baby before being "full term." (Which I will be in less than half an hour.) I hardly slept at all last night. In a span of 7 hours, I got up to pee 6 times. Everytime I closed my eyes, I kept flashing back to a recent court appearance, and imagining it going differently... even though, in reality, everything went fine. Whenever I woke up to pee, I'd think to myself, "Stop reliving it--you won, dummy." But it was to no avail.

So this morning I was hating life. However, I was able to put my feet up and read the paper. Also read a few books to AB, who enjoyed doing his puzzles on the living room floor. Around 10:30 a.m., we decided to watch The Muppet Movie. I fixed him a good lunch, and after lunch he went right to sleep.

During his nap, I finished the paper, paid my bills and balanced my checkbook. Then I put my feet up and chilled with NSAH in the basement for a while, watching some college football. (Stupid Buckeyes.)

AB was sweet when I finally woke him up from his nap, and we read some more and played with all of his animal toys. I watched him re-enact his birthday party using various critters (Grandma was a T-Rex, my friend's daughter O. was a triceratops, and Muffin Man was, I believe, a beaver, etc.). NSAH and I sang "Happy Birthday" to him again, and he pantomimed blowing out the candles on his cake.

I asked AB what he wanted to do for dinner, and he said McDonald's. Meh, what the hell, right? So I took him there for a Happy Meal ("...with a toy," he informed me).

As we walked in, we looked at the toy display. He could either get a Little Mermaid-themed toy or a Bionicle-themed toy. I asked him which he wanted, and he said he wanted the Little Mermaid (one of the Little Mermaid toys did appear to be Ariel herself). Cool with me. But when I peered into the Happy Meal box of another child ahead of us in line, I saw that the Little Mermaid-themed toy this week is a cheap-o green plastic tiara. I pointed it out to him and asked him if he wanted the crown. He said, "No, I want the Little Mermaid." I told him that, apparently, they're not actually giving out Little Mermaid dolls this week; it's either the crown or a "robot."

"I want the robot," he decided firmly. And I can't really blame him. I would've wanted the robot, too. So I ordered his Happy Meal and asked for the Bionicle toy.

"The boy toy?" the woman behind the counter asked.

Feeling as though I'd had this conversation before, I repeated, "The Bionicle toy." The woman behind the counter wasn't very good at her job and--despite this back and forth--initially gave me the tiara... as well as giving AB fries instead of the apple slices he wanted. I pointed these things out to her, and AB and I eventually enjoyed a nice meal at McDonald's. (I am really digging the Asian chicken salad they have. Edamame...yum.)

After dinner, we went home and played with his "robot," which is actually kind of cool. It shoots little paper discs from one of its hands, so we made a game of trying to shoot the discs into the Happy Meal box. It was pretty fun for both of us, I have to admit. Eventually, it was AB's bedtime, and he whined about it but quieted fairly quickly. He was sooo good today, he really was. And I told him that as I kissed him goodnight.

Then I went downstairs and watched a video CLE (that's continuing legal education, for all you normal, non-lawyer people reading this), meaning I'm all set for my requirements this year. Then my awesome husband brought me donuts. Not doughnuts, but donuts. They were excellent.

I gotta say it was a good day.

* Not to be confused with Lazy Sunday.

9 Comments:

Blogger Quinn said...

a) I miss donuts. I have no access to donuts in Cascadia, although the independently owned doughnut place isn't bad.

b) I've had that conversation with the good folks at the Golden arches so. many. times. When we go, we get two happy meals, and a tussle will ensue if my boy and girl don't get the same toy. So I have to be very specific. I want "two trucks" or "two dolls," not one of each.

c) the Muppet Movie rocks.

So glad to hear AB is doing well. Days like today are a treasure. And i can say that, bc my kids were wonderful today.

12:03 AM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

Happy Birthday to AB! Did I blink and miss it?

We just went to MCD's yesterday and they mistakenly gave him the Little Mermaid toy. And while I would technically be fine with him having one, I think I might draw the line at lip gloss. In fact, I'm not sure if I had a little girl that I would let her have lip gloss either. But, we were in the drive-thru, so we'll have to wait to get a Bionicle.

12:41 AM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Seeking Solace said...

It's so nice that we can fulfill our CLE requirements by watching video instead of dragging our butts to a boring seminar!!!!

9:47 AM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger kenju said...

Good luck with the new baby, and with AB when the new one gets here.

10:23 AM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Lawmommy said...

I heart Donuts! When are you due?

Best of luck! Sending you happy thoughts -- whenever I have happy thoughts LOL

12:06 PM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

Glad you had a good day...it sounds relaxing!

12:51 PM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

Really, would it *kill* them to offer the toys by title, instead of by gender?

Alas, my boys recently chose the Bionicle over the Little Mermaid, and we endured an annoying afternoon of tantrums with Simon being not-quite-dexterous to manipulate it before both toys mysteriously disappeared in the middle of the night. It would have been a perfect crime, except I forgot to hunt down all the little cardboard disks. They're still haranguing me to go back to 'find' more Bionicles.

P.S. Happy baby thoughts!

12:50 PM, September 25, 2006  
Blogger SuzanH said...

What a great day (stupid Buckeyes indeed!).

And how much am I digging you linking to Ice Cube? You are WAY too awesome.

I always hated the whole boy/girl toy thing at McDonalds. I've had those conversatios, too, and it's a wonder they haven't stopped with the designations because we can't be the only ones.

Have a great week.

7:32 PM, September 25, 2006  
Blogger Mommygoth said...

Any day that involves donuts is a good day. Even without all that other stuff. :->

9:52 PM, September 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home