Thursday, September 07, 2006

Healthy boy

Angry Boy was actually a very good boy at his doctor's appointment today (annual checkup). Nothing that happened freaked him out--I think it helped that I'd been talking to him about what to expect at his appointment for at least 24 hours. For the first time ever, he stepped onto the scale without freaking out (don't ask me why that used to freak him out, but it did, even though he loves our scale at home and always wants to know "how much" he is). He also let them measure his height without freaking out (another first). Although he's fairly high above the 50th percentile for height, he's waaaay above for weight. But our lovely doctor said, and I quote, "Oh, God, don't put him on a diet or anything!" (As if I would...)

She said to cut back on the junk food. And I didn't know what to say to that. I didn't say anything. I just nodded my head. But except for our foray to McD's this morning for a biscuit and a hash brown, I can't remember the last time AB had junk food. This is a boy who eschews cookies for tomatoes, who would rather eat carrots and zucchini than chicken fingers, who snacks on raisins instead of crackers. We are going to go ahead and switch his 2% milk to 1% (NSAH and I drink skim). That might make a difference.

The thing is, compared to how chubby he was as a baby and as a pre-walking toddler, I think AB is actually starting to look quite slim. He's definitely got meat on his bones (he's still got linebacker thighs, my boy), but his tummy's almost gone. I was looking at pictures of him from our beach trip earlier this summer, and marvelling that his pre-toddler tummy is now the tummy of a young boy.

Anyway... Other highlights from the doctor's office included his ability to tell the doctor all the colors in his shirt, his telling her what kind of dinosaur he was holding (velociraptor, naturally), and his helping her hold the little light as she peered into his mouth.

When we gave his daddy the report later tonight, I asked AB, "Did you get a shot?" "No," he answered. He then stated, "I want a shot." Hey, flu season's not far away, right?

15 Comments:

Blogger Songbird said...

Such a cutie!

10:22 PM, September 07, 2006  
Anonymous Phantom Scribbler said...

Well, that is excellent. If he's waaaaay up on the charts, and she's waaaaaay low, I mean off, the charts, then they'll have perfectly normal 50% children, right?

I knew this arranged marriage was a splendid idea!

10:45 PM, September 07, 2006  
Anonymous KathyR said...

He didn't look terribly massive in that swim trunks photo down below...

Matt was a butterball from about 1 to 3-ish before he started to stretch out. Now he's all long spaghetti arms and legs. And zits. And shaggy uncombed hair. And smelly socks. And attitude.

--sigh-- I miss the "cute little guy" years! Waaah!

11:01 PM, September 07, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

I think your math is right on, Phantom! Perfect 50th percentile grandchildren for us, hooray!

11:03 PM, September 07, 2006  
Blogger Mieke said...

Both of my boys have never been in the 5th percentile for weight. They are skin and bones. Nothing I can do about it. I feed them whole milk, full fat yogurt, butter with their oatmeal in the morning. Nothing works to increase their weight. The doctor tells me not to stress about it. It's just genes.

11:31 PM, September 07, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

Yes, he sounds just like a healthy boy!

Our four year checkup is in a couple of weeks, and although his only fat is in his cheeks, my guy is a big guy. We'll see what they say.

1:40 AM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger ccw said...

Sounds like a very healthy boy.

Please ask him why he no longer freaks out at the doctor and pass the tips on to me. NSBH had to be restrained at her last check-up and she was still kicking the doctor.

8:45 AM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger kenju said...

You recently posted a photo of him on the beach, and he is not fat at all. I would have told the doc that you hardly ever have junk food.

9:14 AM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

My lands - a child who prefers veggies AND wants a shot? Where I can get one of him?!

9:33 AM, September 08, 2006  
Anonymous Lawmommy said...

awesomeness

10:29 AM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

I love AB

2:30 PM, September 08, 2006  
Anonymous Susan said...

how adorable! it is pretty neat to see a kid working through some of his fears.

Last winter, fwiw, Curious Girl was quite proud of the fact that when she got her flu shot, she didn't even cry.

8:52 PM, September 08, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

CCW, I have no tips, unfortunately. We could never figure out why AB, who has always been well-behaved for the doctor, would go crazyfreakoutnuts when they wanted him to step onto the scale. It made no sense. I'm just happy he's over that fear.

9:55 PM, September 08, 2006  
Anonymous liz said...

Hooray for AB!

He's got the broadest shoulders I've ever seen on a three-year-old. That boy has BONES! Great big dinosaur bones! Not fat at all, just nice and manly.

11:13 PM, September 09, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

That's so cute! I have a co=worker who's son loves the dentist...go figure! :)

12:02 AM, September 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home