Saturday, September 16, 2006

The "dumbening" of DJs

Was listening to the classic rock station with NSAH and AB in the car today, and the DJ said she was going to play a "deep cut." She introduced the song, and it began to play. It was Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne." Ordinarily, I would have griped at length about the fact that I do not consider "Kid Charlemagne" to be a "deep cut." In my book, if it's been released and has received substantial airtime, it's not a "deep cut."

I was temporarily put off from my "deep cut" griping, however, by this fact:

When the DJ introduced the song, she said, "Here's Steely Dan's 'Kid Shar-ma-lane.'"

Shar-ma-lane?! My high school French history teacher is rolling over in her grave. (If she's dead, that is.) I know all DJs can't be as knowledgeable as Weasel or Cerphe, but still. I expect correct pronunciation of song titles--is that too much to ask?

10 Comments:

Blogger molly said...

She must have taken a page from the George W. book of politically incorrect pronunciation. Remember 'nucular'?

11:44 PM, September 16, 2006  
Anonymous Neel Mehta said...

Radio DJs are, by and large, incredibly dumb. As I understand it, all you need is a clear voice and the ability not to gag when playing the required music on the playlist.

Still, I'd rather hear their moronic comments and mistakes than anything a caller has to say.

2:52 AM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger BernieRA said...

I can no longer listen to the radio. During the morning and afternoon drives, while taking my children to school, every station has a 'zoo' program with limited music, limited humor, and foul discussions.

Radio ownership is so volatile these days, I can't keep up with anyone's format either. Today they are Top 40. Tomorrow they are Classic Rock.

By the way, when did my favorite music become classic? How old AM I?

8:19 AM, September 17, 2006  
Anonymous Lisa V said...

Damn that Molly is too quick.

I was going to say, we don't get it from our president, how the hell are we going to get it from the DJ's.

My father and uncle were both DJ's for over a decade. They both stopped in the late 70's, back when they still picked the music and played what they wanted.

That poor guy was probably told Steely Dan was a deep cut. He probably wasn't born when it played first.

9:52 AM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Songbird said...

This is why I listen to NPR in the car.

12:55 PM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger La Turista said...

At least you have a classic rock station. We have one, count 'em, ONE, "rock" station left in this town, the alleged Live Music Capital of the World, and it only plays stuff from the last 5-10 years. Nirvana is about as classic as these jokers get. Good Lord.

And I once heard a so-called classic rock DJ credit David Lee Roth for writing "You Really Got Me." Hello - paging Ray Davies?!

10:56 PM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

What Songbird said. I cannot stomach commercial radio. "Sharmalayne". I'm pukin' over here.

4:06 PM, September 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anne Glamore said...

Ack!! But at least they played it.

10:48 AM, September 20, 2006  
Anonymous *Justine* said...

is there gas in the caaaar.....yes there's gas in the caaaar....I think the people down the hall know who you are.... ;)

4:05 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Rich | Championable said...

Yup. It's too much to ask.

Sigh.

11:07 PM, September 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home