Friday, August 04, 2006

My boy, the health nut

In his continuing efforts to prove that he is indeed smarter than both his mommy and his daddy, AB has adopted a healthful diet. His favorite food: vegetables (unless there are some fresh berries lying around). He loves broccoli and green beans, and will even eat veggies that neither NSAH nor I care for very much, like zucchini and squash. (I do try to set a good example when we're eating out, and will eat those two veggies if they come mixed in a side dish.)

He also--for some reason unknown to us--does not like cheese. Whereas I could eat cheese melted over anything, the only cheese he likes is grated parmesan liberally shaken over his pasta with red sauce. He does get his dairy, though. He loves to drink milk, and will share my yogurt on occasion.

Tonight, NSAH and I ordered pizza. AB does not like pizza. Instead of trying to force him to eat something unhealthful that he does not like, I made an exception to my "Everyone eats the same thing at dinnertime" rule. I offered to make him something else. His final choice, which he helped me make: a single slice of smoked turkey, fresh spinach, shredded carrots and hummus on a whole wheat wrap. Little showoff.

12 Comments:

Blogger Yankee, Transferred said...

Ah, what a good boy. And brilliant!

11:56 PM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Hmmmm. No pizza will cause problems if AB and Baby Blue are to live happily ever after. On the other hand, she could go many months on pasta with red sauce and grated parmesan. So there is still hope...

12:03 AM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger mc said...

The rebellion starts early, huh? Think of how healthy he'll be to take care of you in your old age!

6:26 AM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Songbird said...

Don't worry. Soon he'll have a little sibling to join him for early dinners of vegetables, and you can sneak the pizzas in later!

7:56 AM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger Moi said...

He knows what he needs to grow big and strong. Smart kid!

9:03 AM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger ccw said...

How sweet! Maybe he could come over here and show off his culinary tastes for Not-So-Baby H. She currently eats cereal for all 3 meals with an occassional side of corn.

12:20 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger katze said...

Heh, he sounds just like me as a child. I cried when they took us to the school cafeteria in Kindergarten and fed us lunch one day (so that we wouldn't be afraid when 1st grade rolled around and also so that we'd understand how the lunch line worked), and they served us pizza, so for some reason I thought that was the only thing you could get at the school cafeteria and I HATED PIZZA. However, I loved broccoli and spinach and carrots more than anything else.

Of course, now I am more in your camp: cheese? Yes, of course! I do still love the veggies, though...

12:53 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger liz said...

No wonder he's so delicious.

9:20 PM, August 05, 2006  
Blogger DaniGirl said...

How interesting - AB seems to be Tristan's counterpart in the healthy universe. Everything AB likes, Tristan wouldn't let cross his cheese-loving lips on pain of death. And sadly, he is corrupting his omnivorous brother, who is now starting to refuse veggies, too.

Sigh.

7:46 AM, August 06, 2006  
Blogger KLee said...

I'm the picky eater in the family. I was always lucky that Offspring wasn't (and isn't) the picky eater that I was (and still am.)

She's always loved stuff like broccoli and all kinds of assorted veggies, while I have very few that I like. The only things she will not eat are corn and bananas. That's it. Squid? Yup, she'll eat it. Octopus? Yup. But give her corn, and it's like you asked her to swallow industrial garbage.

11:48 AM, August 06, 2006  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oh my goodness! What a cutie!

I also hope to institute that rule (most of the time anyway).

2:33 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Mommygoth said...

That's amazing! I have to hide the veggies in Miss K's macaroni to get any in her.

4:55 PM, August 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home