Saturday, July 01, 2006

Or is it just me?

Whenever I watch the English soccer team play, and they play the national anthem, I find myself singing "My Country 'Tis of Thee." (Yes, I know it's the same tune.) I realize that doing that is kind of a slap in the face to the English, so I do try to fight the urge. It was really embarrasing when I did it in public at a DC United-Newcastle game a few years back. Caught myself singing, and then stopped, red-faced.

Does anyone else do this when they hear "God Save the Queen"?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kimba said...

Well, first of all, the USA national anthem isn't "My country 'tis of thee", it's "The Star Spangled Banner". That said, "God Save the Queen" came first...as did "Anacreon in Heaven" an English drinking song that is now...yep, you guessed it...our national anthem!

Hmmm...go England!

3:04 PM, July 01, 2006  
Blogger kenju said...

Of course! It's just nature when I hear that music - I sing that song.

5:42 PM, July 01, 2006  
Blogger liz said...

Yup. Me too.

8:29 PM, July 01, 2006  
Anonymous nsah said...

She actually meant the English national anthem -- they play each team's anthem before the game, and we've both been watching a lot of English games!

Well, no more of that, sadly.

10:33 PM, July 01, 2006  
Blogger Quinn said...

I'm more inclined to start singing the Eddie Izzard version, "God Attack the Queen" (send big dogs after her, that bite her bum...) Very catchy.

10:40 PM, July 02, 2006  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I do it toally! I swear they brainwashed us to do that in elementary school though.

9:27 AM, July 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home