Saturday, July 01, 2006

I cannot get my head around it, baby*

Saw Aimee Mann tonight. She was awesome as usual. Looking around at the crowd, I couldn't help but notice what a conventional middle-class, mostly-middle-age, regular-joe type crowd we were. Aimee's fans all looked so normal, whereas she... well, is not. So then I wondered how many people in the audience were casual fans, those who just appreciated her music on a superficial level. (Hell, even just on the surface, her songs are enjoyable.) And then I looked around and wondered how many people there were secretly fucked up? How many people heard her dark themes and felt them resonate within? Maybe not the addiction and drug use themes, but the recurring themes of self-loathing and ineptitude in relationships. And then I had what, to me, was a comforting thought: maybe most of us are secretly fucked up in some way. See, I often have the conceited notion that I am the most screwed up person in any room--but the idea of "screwed up" as being part and parcel of the human condition made me feel at ease during the concert, I have to admit.

Oh, and to the woman sitting at the table next to me: I didn't shell out the ticket price to hear you sing Aimee Mann songs. So shut it next time. Seriously.

*Aimee didn't perform this song, unfortunately.

13 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I know exactly the annoyance of which you speak. I make it a rule to sing only when the majority of the crowd is singing as well.

12:37 AM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Songbird said...

I remember thinking of this when listening to Kanye West sing about addiction. I may not have experienced drug addiction, but Lord knows there are things I find difficult to resist, things that are as exciting as fire, and just as dangerous. It's the same with poetry about a deep spiritual experience, sort of the good side of those fiery things. I may not have the visions of Teresa of Avila, for instance, but something in her writing about the Interior Castle resonates with my experiences.
Sorry the table neighbor was so awful!

8:23 AM, July 02, 2006  
Anonymous KathyR said...

Yes. Everybody is secretly (and not-so-secretly) fucked up AND the ones who think they aren't are fucked up the most!

And, OOH, I hate that singing along thing when no one else is singing. Did you try a penetrating glare?

10:16 AM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Gina's comment made me realize I didn't specifically say it, but yeah, she was the only one in the audience singing. It wasn't a sing-along atmosphere. (I, too, am happy to sing along when everyone else is doing so, or when it's encouraged by the performer.)

10:38 AM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger mc said...

So jealous that you got to see her! I am so stuck in the baby haze that I didn't realize she's on tour again. Saw her a few years back and she was awesome -- bleak and dark and cynical. Just perfect.

11:33 AM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Simba's Mom said...

Sorry about the annoying singing lady. It is probably my fault that I wasn't at a concert or at the movies at the time, because usually she sits behind me.

12:56 PM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger LawMommy said...

Save me... from the ranks of the freaks who suspect they could never love anyone.

8:21 PM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger LawMommy said...

I'm linking to you.

8:28 PM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Oh yeah...we're all fucked up in our own ways...no gettin' around it. And I once paid a ton of money to take the kids to Fiddler on the Roof and the 16 year old boy behind me who knew every word sang at the top of his frickin' off key lungs. I wanted to rip his throat out.

9:48 AM, July 03, 2006  
Anonymous Lisa V said...

I so heart Aimee Mann. You must have seen Magnolia, right ?

I had my hair just like Aimee Mann's in 1985. Bleached blonde, short, spiky, with a little long braid. Yes, I saw it in the "Hush, Hush" video from Til Tuesday.

12:33 PM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger KLee said...

Okay, I have to admit that when I attended the one comcert I did manage to see of my favorite singer, I sang every word of every song. But, in my defense, it was not a seated venue, but general admission; and everyone else was singing along.

I would never presume to sing when there are seating arrangements. I also get very antsy when people around me are disrupting the show, or movie. We recently went to a Disney Live Magic show, and there was a child about four rows behind us that screamed THE ENTIRE TIME. The thing about it that made me the maddest was that the parents never once told the kid to be quiet. I understand kids being noisy at shows, but the whole time, and for the parents not to correct the bad behavior? Terrible

12:41 PM, July 03, 2006  
Blogger liz said...

Singing is only acceptable when everybody's doin' it.

Or at RHPS. But then everybody's doin' it.

So we're back to where we started.

11:45 PM, July 03, 2006  
Anonymous *Justine* said...

I always thought that Aimee, and Tori Amos, and a few other singers, appeal to people who can be sort of "melancholy" if that makes sense. (I like both of them)

12:14 PM, July 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home