Saturday, June 24, 2006

Random wonderful Saturday

I think this is the first Saturday in 3 weeks where I didn't take the boy to the movies first thing in the morning. I am trying to take it easy, so I figured we'd just run a few errands. We went to the bank to get "money and cookies," according to AB. And money and cookies we got. (Well, I skipped the cookie.) Then we went to the mall to get him some new sneakers. I had a mall gift card left over from Christmas with a fair amount on it, so I didn't mind going to Stride Rite (I usually get good deals at Kohl's or Payless). He was very good and let the nice young lady measure both feet, and then he tried on two pairs of shoes. This was the first time we've ever done this. Usually, I just buy two pairs of shoes in different sizes and take back the ones that don't fit well. But he was very cooperative, and he thought it was hilarious that the sales lady and I were actually encouraging him to run around the store, so we could see him move in the shoes. And when the second pair of shoes didn't feel right to him, he simply said, "These are too tight." So we bought the first pair. (Of course, they are white and will be asphalt black by the end of the week, but whatever.)

Then we went to the makeup store (where I hate going, because usually the salespeople are stuffy and unhelpful). I kept a close eye on AB to make sure he didn't touch any of the open samples. Mostly he just grooved to the dance beat in the background. We only needed to be in there for 5 minutes, since I was only going in for one thing.

He was so good, I decided to take him by the toy store on the way out. There was a HUGE Cars display at the front of the store, and he was so happy he started jumping around. I bought him one small toy from the movie, and some more dinosaurs. Some were repeats, but we've now added Apatosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and Euoplocephalus to our collection. I can see your eyes glaze over at the mere mention of their names...

Stopped briefly at my mom's to let her dogs out, and then had lunch at Whole Foods. AB would live on tomatoes if I'd let him. I also convinced him to eat some cucumbers, croutons, red and green peppers, broccoli, and black olives. I gave him some of the salami from my Italian pasta salad, but he didn't like it. "Too spicy" was his verdict. Meh, more for me.

He also took a good nap when we got home, letting me check my work email and catch up on blogs. After he woke up and we were playing in the living room, I decided to see if there were any sports on TV. I was lucky enough to stumble into the start of the 10th inning of the Phillies-Sox game. Saw the Phillies retired without a run, and then the Sox were up. As soon as David Ortiz came up to the plate, I thought, "This is it." Sure enough, he smacked the game-winning home run. I was screaming, and AB started screaming, too: "Go Papi, go Papi!" He especially loved how the whole team was waiting for Papi as he crossed the plate, and they all started hugging and jumping up and down. The hugging and the jumping make the whole game worthwhile, apparently. So we both screamed "Go Sox, go Papi" for a while before I turned off the TV. AB actually had us renact the hugging and jumping up and down at home plate. My boy, the sports fan with heart. Gotta love it. And when his daddy came home, I told him to tell his daddy who won the game we watched, thinking he'd say "Red Sox." Nope. "Papi won, daddy!" I still think he and Baby Blue are a match made in heaven. I just have to teach him to say, "Duh Yankees TUPID."

(Today was a good potty day, too. No accidents... although for one particular potty sit, he managed to get more outside the potty than inside the potty. But that's what paper towels and Clorox wipes are for, right?)

15 Comments:

Blogger Songbird said...

Hey, we love the dinosaurs! #2 Son still has some that he got for opening a Dinosaver account at the bank, and they are sitting on top of the computer. And #1 Son absolutely could not get enough of dinosaurs when he was AB's age. I think learning there names helped him later on the SAT. Dinosaurs matter.

9:46 PM, June 24, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

Do you have the book "How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" Mr. Personality loves that book, and he isn't even particularly into dinosaurs at this point.

As for the Yankee comment, I will choose to ignore. ;)

12:42 AM, June 25, 2006  
Blogger oshee said...

AB deserves tons of praise. It sounds like he had a most wonderful day! It sounds like you enjoyed it too.
Also, I am impressed with the volume of veggies he ate. I loved the veggies as a kid but can't seem to convince my kids they should too.

1:25 AM, June 25, 2006  
Blogger kenju said...

I hope you are lucky enough to get him potty-trained before the new baby comes. He might back-slide a little, but it would be great not to have 2 in diapers at the same time, no?

My eyes didn't glaze over; I have a grandson who is wild for dinosaurs, so I am very familiar with nearly all of them. Now he is into pirates too, so I guess I'll have to read up on Blackbeard, et al. LOL

9:24 AM, June 25, 2006  
Blogger liz said...

Loving the dinosaurs here too, though as you know, MM is not nearly as knowledgeable about them as AB.

Sounds like you had a great day!

And I think that AB and BB are a great match!

9:41 AM, June 25, 2006  
Blogger Seeking Solace said...

Sounds like a great day!!!

10:38 AM, June 25, 2006  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm trying not to be jealous that my future son-in-law will be fully potty-trained before my son. Sigh.

But wasn't that game a thing of beauty and a joy forever? Some random guy at the restaurant last night was trying to help us figure out what the record is for most walk-off home runs for a single player in a season. He ended by saying, "David Ortiz for president!"

11:15 AM, June 25, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Kenju, AB is starting to get into pirates as well. He'll put his blanky over one eye and say, "I'm a PIRATE!" When I was at the pharmacy counter at CVS the other day, I noticed they sold eye patches and I fought the urge to buy him one.

11:46 AM, June 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AB started screaming, too: "Go Papi, go Papi!"

Around these parts, we'd call that Child Abuse. =)

12:06 PM, June 25, 2006  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Sounds like a great day. And duh Yankees are TUPID.

1:29 PM, June 25, 2006  
Anonymous Genevieve said...

Woo-hoo, AB!! Way to go for good behavior in a mall, good potty training, and cheering for Papi! (And thanks for the heads-up - we'll be sure to watch the TiVo of the game, especially the ending.)

Oh yes, BB and AB are a great match. And she won't even have to change her last initial (B)!

12:33 AM, June 26, 2006  
Anonymous Genevieve said...

Oh, and has AB read "How I Became a Pirate"? Bet he'd love it!

1:01 AM, June 26, 2006  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Now I want salami. Thanks a lot.

AB is the cutest ever! I want one just like him!

11:43 AM, June 26, 2006  
Anonymous Lex said...

"Go Sox, go Papi"

As the Good Book says, train a child up in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not stray from it.

Ditto the endorsement of "How I Became a Pirate," along with "Captain Abdul's Pirate School."

3:58 PM, June 26, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

I will have to seek out both of those pirate books--thanks for the recommendations, Lex & Genevieve!

8:36 PM, June 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home