Sunday, June 25, 2006

Nothing wrong with dress-up

For those (mostly anonymous) commenters who criticized this post of mine by asserting that there's nothing wrong with girls playing dress-up, let me assure you: I agree. And here's proof: I thought this article in today's Post magazine was a nice example of the right way to encourage and help girls play dress-up. The picture accompanying the article shows that none of the girls were baring skin inappropriately. The girls did have makeup applied, but the women in charge told them the makeup was to "enhance your beauty; you girls are all naturally beautiful, okay?" And each of the girls was given an award based not at all on looks. Most importantly, the dress-up party occurred not in the vast expanses of a mall, where all manner of passersby can watch 5-year-olds showing off their midriffs, but in the birthday girl's home.

So, no, nothing wrong with simply playing dress-up. Today as we were sitting on the couch, my boy looked at me and said, "Make me pretty." I knew what he meant: he wanted me to drape his blanket over his head like it was long hair. I did so, and also I told him he's always pretty, no matter what he's wearing. Seriously, I can't get over how gorgeous he is. And, yes, I know I'm biased, but still. Pretty, pretty boy. (He's watching England-Ecuador with his daddy as I draft this post right now.)

4 Comments:

Blogger BernieRA said...

Bless us all. There may be hope for humanity yet. Try buying clothes for your children. Not any of it is appropriate to their age.

I am tired of seeing everyone's belly button in school. It's just wrong.

11:52 PM, June 25, 2006  
Anonymous Genevieve said...

I had the same thought when I read the article -- thought of Club Libby Lu as a bad contrast, and that this was a nice way to do a dress-up party.

12:34 AM, June 26, 2006  
Blogger liz said...

That sounds like enormous fun. And appropriate.

And yes, AB is the most beautiful two-year-old I know.

11:40 AM, June 26, 2006  
Anonymous TXMom said...

Libby Lu is really really frightening. But no less frightening than the parents that encourage their preadolescent children to dress up like strippers (and rent them limousines to get there). It freaks me out almost as much as the baby beauty pagents.

I take great encouragement from your APL blog that there are other moms out there (oddly enough many of us seem to be in law school or lawyers) who still have some common sense and get angry at these stupid things.

9:49 AM, July 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home