Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Cranky

Joel Achenbach (whom I have to thank for virtually introducing me to the wonderful Corndog) had an interesting piece in the Post magazine this weekend on global-warming skeptics. He also had a follow-up chat today. One of the anti-GW arugments he referenced in his article, which was picked up again during the chat, was this (I'm quoting from one chatter who also found fault with the argument):

"How can they predict something 50 years down the road if they can't tell me if it's going to be a hot summer THIS SUMMER?"

This argument ticks me off to no end. An economist can't tell you what a particular stock is going to do on a particular day, or in a particular month (or he can try, but very well might be wrong), but he can without hesitation tell you that in certain industries, your investment will increase over time. The climate is similar in that it's damn near impossible to predict minor happenings or aberrations, but much easier to see bigger, long-term trends.

And another thing... I don't like the way I look in any of my maternity clothes. And my bras itch. And the dog keeps scratching his ear and licking his feet. And my pockets hurt.

6 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

Amazingly enough, bag balm really helps with the itchiness, as does wearing all cotton, seamless bras.

12:26 AM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Songbird said...

Does the dog have sympathetic itching? Or is he/she an allergy sufferer?
Poor both of you!

7:57 AM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger corndog said...

Aw, shucks, I'm blushing.

And you'd think an edumacated person, especially an expert on frickin' hurricanes, would understand the difference between weather and climate. Didn't we learn that in 6th grade Earth Science class? It's like those fundamentalist chemistry Ph.D.s who try to argue that evolution violates the 2nd law of thermodymnamics. "Hello, open system over here!"

9:46 AM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger s. p. stanley said...

Note: Malcolm is played by Alec Baldwin
[ELSEWHERE AT THE AUTUMN CARNIVAL.... GRACE AND MALCOLM ARE WALKING AROUND. GRACE SPOTS A COTTON CANDY STAND.]
GRACE: [GASPS] Cotton candy!
[GRACE PICKS UP A ]
GRACE: Once at a fair in junior high, this kid dared me to eat, like, ten sticks of this stuff. I got pretty far, and then ["VOMIT" SOUND] bleh-- All over my face and my clothes and-- Oh, then I had my first kiss...
MALCOLM: You are a real charmer, Grace Adler. Thank you for coming on this date with me.
GRACE: Sure. It was my pleasure.
[MALCOLM REACHES INTO HIS PANTS POCKET AND PULLS IT INSIDE OUT, LEAVING IT STICKING OUT OF HIS PANTS.]
MALCOLM: Hold my pocket.
GRACE: What?
MALCOLM: I like when my girls do that.
GRACE: No. I'm not gonna hold your pocket.
MALCOLM: You're my girl. You'll hold my pocket.

10:07 AM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Well, I'm fat. And I don't look pregnant. And I have pregnancy induced acne.

Ridiculous argument too.

2:07 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger SuzanH said...

I spent 3 nights (o.k., not the whole night, but about at least an hour each) reading the Simpson's quotes and not doing anything constructive.

Thanks for the break.

10:52 PM, June 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home