Monday, March 20, 2006

Dino-mania

The dino-crazies, they have hit. Big-time.

AB has always liked dinosaurs. When I asked him what he wanted on his sheets when he gets his big-boy bed, he answered "dinosaurs." When I ask him which shirt he wants to wear to school, he answers "dinosaurs." (Unfortunately for us, he has only one dinosaur shirt, and we can't send him to school wearing it every day lest the school call CPS on us.)

But this weekend, he went to the toy store with my mom. She bought him some plastic dinosaurs. He. Is. Enthralled. He has learned all of their names (even the hard to pronounce ones, like Parasaurolophus). At first, I thought his favorite was "the Rex dinosaur," but apparently it's Spinosaurus.

I remember being obsessed with dinosaurs when I was a kid, so I figure it's something lots of kids go through. Better dinosaurs than other obsessions, I suppose. Or so I've heard.

8 Comments:

Blogger Quinn said...

But did you hear that some scientists now believe "the Rex dinosaur" was covered in feathers? Sort of a big, mean chicken.

8:08 AM, March 21, 2006  
Anonymous nutso ranter said...

Oh. God. Not. THOMAS! AYYYYYYY (runs, screaming from my computer).

Actually, as the mother of a Thomas-crazy child... I owe Thomas the Tank Engine a good deal. It is the only way we ever get the munchkins nails/hair cut. We could probably perform minor surgery on him and he wouldn't notice, as long as the Thomas the Tank video is on.

I can't wait until munchkin moves on to Dinosaurs. Have I told you (recently) how smart I think AB is? I think dinosaurs are a common "phase" for many kids... I think I had mine when I was 5 or 6. But its not every day you get a 2 1/2 year old who can say "triceritops" (gosh, I'm 32 and I probably didn't even spell that right!)

8:22 AM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Quinn, that is really interesting. Reminds me of stuff that Sam Neill said in the first Jurassic Park movie...

Nutso, I had no idea your boy was into Thomas! Now I know what to get him for birthdays and holidays.

8:45 AM, March 21, 2006  
Anonymous Lisa V said...

Geez, just hitting that first link gave me hives. But thanks for putting all of us club members together to offer support. Scruffy hasn't even looked at dinosaurs that I know of. His birthday is in two weeks though.

8:45 AM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Dinosaurs are definitely a rite of passage in my family. The brother's boy announced when he was four that he was going to be a paleontologist when he grew up. He's now 34 and in public relations. But it was fun to think about!

10:36 AM, March 21, 2006  
Anonymous Nic said...

Yup, my boy child went through the dino phase and now my girl child is in the horse phase. At least you don't get begged for a pony all day!

12:51 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

No, Nic, but I do get begged for dinosaurs! (Seriously. He wants a triceratops.) :-)

8:26 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

You've got Danny and the Dinosaur, right? It's not paleontologically accurate enough for a smartie like AB, but I bet he'd like the concept just fine.

10:05 AM, March 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home