Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Small fears

The three of us were at the dinner table, eating our pizza. Angry Boy was holding his slice in his right hand, down near his armrest, but was looking at me. Well, just then, our dog started nibbling the slice. I pointed that out to AB, and made him move his slice back to his plate. After that, for the rest of dinner, AB kept saying, "I'm afraaiiiiiiid" and reaching out to me, the way he does when he's upset in a crowd.

"You're afraid?"
"Um-hmm."
"What are you afraid of?"
"He eat my pizza."
"You're afraid [Small Dog] is going to eat your pizza?"
"Yes."
"It's OK, he's not going to eat your pizza. Just don't hold it down so low."

We had this same conversation three more times before dinner ended. I tried not to laugh, but eventually I couldn't help it. He really did have a mixture of fear and sadness on his face when he reached out to me. It was so pathetic. It sounds mean, but I don't mean it in a cruel way. It's not like he was afraid of Small Dog--he was afraid that Small Dog would eat his pizza slice. He is so my child.

3 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

That is so cute! I love that he reached to you to help protect his pizza slice.

I think I might prefer fear of losing food to Baby H's joy at throwing our dog her food.

9:04 AM, December 08, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I'm afraid!

I am cracking up over here! How did you keep from laughing?

If my (2 year old) niece realized that the dogs wanted her pizza, she'd be throwing it down for them happily. She loves to feed them, and they love to follow her around and be fed. It is rather funny.

10:25 AM, December 08, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I have fears about dogs eating my pizza, too. Help me, Angry Pregnant Lawyer! You're my pizza's only hope.

1:05 PM, December 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home