Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Most Played Songs

I was prompted to list my iTunes most-played songs after seeing Phantom's list of her most-played songs. Of course, unlike Phantom, I don't have to share my iPod with anyone, so the songs on my list are only those which I choose to play. Which means the list is sort of homogenous.

Four of the 10 most-played songs on my list are off of Aimee Mann's latest, The Forgotten Arm, which is odd because I purchased that album back in May but hardly ever listened to it then. I mean, I listened to it once right off the bat, but none of the songs jumped out at me or stuck with me. Whereas with her previous one, Lost in Space, I was hooked right away. I really didn't start listening to The Forgotten Arm until October or even November. And now I'm hooked. The 4 songs on the album that are on my 10-most-played list are "Beautiful," "Dear John," "Going Through the Motions," and "I Was Thinking I Could Clean Up For Christmas," which is probably my favorite, because I find it darkly funny.

The remaining songs on the list are:
  • "Over My Head (Cable Car)" by The Fray, which was on an episode of ER this season and has really grown on me. Plus, it's in my key, so I sing along (loudly) in the car.

  • "Best of You" by the Foo Fighters. Not in my key, so to compensate for my off-key warbling, I crank it up and am drowned out by Dave Grohl's intensity.

  • "Because of Toledo" by the Blue Nile. Little too dreary. I've stopped listening to it as much.

  • "Reminiscing" by Little River Band. Back in my post-college, graveyard-shift days, after work we'd all head over to the bar in order to drink a few beers in the hour or so before last call. We'd put our money in the jukebox and play pool, and this was one of the songs I always put on. This, and Petty's "Even the Losers."

  • "Club Foot" by Kasabian. I still have no idea what they're saying.

  • "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty. Always makes me think of the Simpsons episode where Lisa plays the sax solo at the end.

1 Comments:

Anonymous terrilynn said...

Back in the day one of my favorite bar bands was a band from the Triad called Brice Street. They had a really great song list and are the only band I ever heard that covered Reminiscing.

That was a nice stroll down memory lane, thanks!

4:22 PM, December 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home