Saturday, October 15, 2005

Sleep deprivation + TV = FUN!

I've been feeling a lot of solidarity with you professors lately. At least, with respect to the part about staying up late to do your work. Most nights this week, I've been working till 11 (except for Thursday, when I was working till after 1 a.m.). I don't expect things to slow down till next month, unfortunately. The good news is that my deficit of billables should be reduced to zero by the end of October. Oh, and I like the work, too.

The bad news, obviously, is that I really don't have as much time to read your blogs. And I certainly don't have time to post on my own. So those of you still reading, thanks. I think this has been my biggest hiatus since I moved my blog to blogspot.

Thursday night/Friday morning, when I finished my draft and crawled into bed, I was exhausted, but my mind was still racing. So I decided to lull it to sleep by focusing on one of my favorite guilty pleasures: TV. I thought about shows with ensemble casts, and then tried to think of which character I was most like. It's a game I've played with NSAH many times before. And, unlike certain quizzes, the answers are never arbitrary or nonsensical. There's a lot of analysis behind them. So this is what I came up with while lying in bed:

ER: This is the easiest. I am rather passive. I have poor communication skills (yeah, I know I'm a lawyer--what I mean is I don't like to talk with others about what I'm feeling. Like, ever.). It's very easy for me to become closed off. Despite the fact that I often think very highly of myself, I also can be very insecure about my work, and if I receive criticism about it I can cycle through defensiveness and self-doubt. I have a somewhat warped sense of humor. There are other traits we share as well, but I think it's pretty clear: the character I have the most in common with is Abby.

Homicide: Life on the Street: Unlike with the previous show, this is more of a "cross off the people I'm least like and see who's left" endeavor. I always thought I was most like Lewis. Lewis was an easy-going guy. He went with the flow. There was really nothing that outstanding about him. He was good at his job, and was a good guy, though not sqeaky clean. For example, when Kellerman shot and killed the very badass Luther Mahoney, Lewis was torn about whether to cover for his friend or not. So the other night, I decided I was Lewis. NSAH told me yesterday, however, that he thinks I'm more like G, in that I do very well with the things within my control, but I get frustrated by things that are out of my control. And that makes sense to me. Also, I have learned that some people find me intimidating (which I find hilarious, given my small stature, but whatever). So now I'm going with G.

Law & Order: Claire Kincaid. And not just because I used to have a girlcrush on Jill Hennessey. Claire was serious about her job. She got frustrated when things didn't go her way. She was an idealist, but still pragmatic. I was so sad when she went into a coma and died.

M*A*S*H: I am BJ Honeycutt. BJ had a good sense of humor, and enjoyed goofing off. Though he wasn't perfect, he tried his best to retain his moral compass during the war.

So there's a little insight into my TV-addled mind. I'll try to post again tomorrow.

10 Comments:

Anonymous KathyR said...

OK, see, now you make me wish I watched TV shows more so that I knew what the heck you were talking about. Well, not really, but I do hate not getting all but one of these references.

I do remember BJ Honeycutt. I guess it would be OK to be him. Better than Radar, anyhow.

2:45 PM, October 15, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

What Kathy said. I ought to be watching more non-sports TV.

We'll be missing you until the end of the month!

4:56 PM, October 15, 2005  
Blogger RussianViolets said...

I just adore Law and Order, and I hope that things settle down for you soon.

5:37 PM, October 15, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I'll be waiting, whenever things calm down enough to post. But I'll miss you.

I love Honeycutt. That's a great character.

5:44 PM, October 15, 2005  
Blogger KLee said...

You. So. Totally. Rock!!! I'm just sitting here, mouth agape, that you were a "Homicide" fan! I would have never pegged you for another H:LotS groupie! Songbird and I can dish over some H:LotS, can't we, Songbird?

I think you're more a Lewis than a Gee. Gee had that untouchable aura, and while you stick to your guns, you are definitely not unapproachable. You give me warm and fuzzy feelings, where Gee only inspired "I'm glad I'm not under his command!"

I am a total Bayliss chick, myself. I probably act more like Crosetti crossed with Juliana Cox, but I'm all about Bayliss! :)

You, me, and Songbird will have to arrange a weekend Homicide DVD fest sometime. We'll pull out the silly cookies and couscous and egg creams and go to town!

10:16 PM, October 15, 2005  
Blogger Gina said...

APL, I hope things flow as smoothly as possible for you.

I really liked Homicide and Andre Braugher is one of my favorite actors. What the heck has he been up to lately, anyway?

12:07 AM, October 16, 2005  
Blogger Piece of Work said...

Wait, Claire Kinkaid died? I thought she quit to raise her daughter. Sadly I don't watch ER and HOmicide is too long ago for me to remember. But Law & Order, oh how I love those shows. Though I can't even begin to imagine who I am similar to on those shows. Probably some poor victims mother. Sigh.

2:33 PM, October 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

POW - You're thinking of one of the other assistant DAs. I'm drawing a blank on her name. They all run together, despite the attempt to give one some "edge" by announcing she's a lesbian as she's being fired. They've gotten progressively worse.

6:53 PM, October 16, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

KLee! I am all in favor of a Homicide DVDfest. I must say, there've been a few Juliana Cox-ish times in my life. I miss Michelle Forbes. Wonder what she's been up to.

Oh, and Jamie Ross is the ADA you're all trying to remember. Played by Carey Lowell, former Bond girl.

8:17 PM, October 16, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I am loving this game! I'm going to start doing it when bored/working/can't sleep : )

6:40 PM, October 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home