Sunday, October 23, 2005

Damn fine day

Woken up by the boy making various noises before 7 a.m., the little turd. But it's OK: yesterday, he let us sleep in till 8! I brought him into our bed, and we watched a little Sesame Street. After I showered, I called up NutsoRanter/PottyPhobe, and we decided to meet up for breakfast at a Silver Diner, just us and the kids, no spouses. Had a great breakfast, and talked about work and preschool/daycare. Immediately afterward, we both coincidentally wound up at the Barnes & Noble and hung out there reading kids' books for a bit.

For lunch, my dad came over and took us out to lunch at a Greek place I'd never been to before. The chicken souvlaki was great, as were the fries. Angry Boy took a good nap after lunch, while I worked on a brief and watched football (and I especially enjoyed seeing Clinton Portis do multiple cartwheels in the endzone).

When Angry Boy woke up, he wanted to watch a little Muppet Show (Dom Deluise). After that, it was time to read. A lot. We read:
  • The Cat in the Hat

  • Green Eggs and Ham

  • Madeline

  • Socks for Supper

  • Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever

  • The Real Mother Goose

  • The Foot Book

  • Hop on Pop

  • The Wookie Storybook (I shit you not)

  • Put Me in the Zoo

  • Harry the Dirty Dog

  • Harry by the Sea

  • No Roses for Harry


He's had a runny nose all day, and we nebulized him as a precaution. I hadn't nebulized him in ages, and I was worried he'd fight it. But he just relaxed in my lap and we watched Sesame Street (his current favorite is the relatively new Baby Bear's First Day of School). And he was so sweet when I put him to bed. He whispered his usual "bye bye," but then also put out his hand and said, "high five?" I kissed my hand and high-fived him. And he said, "welcome, mommy." (He is currently mixing up his thank yous and welcomes. I think it's cute.) I said, "thank you, Angry Boy" and closed the door.

And now I'm sitting here in bed, watching last night's SNL which we DVR'ed, and eating my husband's chili. NSAH makes the Best. Chili. Ever.

So even though I've got a lot of work still to do, I'm feeling OK. Hope you all had a great day, too.

15 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

That was a heckuva storytime--perhaps you can take on a moonlighting gig at the library. We could use more patient storytellers.

What a little sweetie pie AB is!

9:37 PM, October 23, 2005  
Anonymous Kristen said...

He's got good taste in books!

My 5 year old read "Hop on Pop" to me last night for the first time. By the time she finished, my eyes were a little misty - all those memories of me reading it to her.

9:43 PM, October 23, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I couldn't get my son to sit still for that many books if I had him in a straightjacket.

But he sure does love that Dom Deluise episode.

10:02 PM, October 23, 2005  
Blogger kenju said...

I love breakfast at the Silver Diner!

12:10 AM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Jessica said...

Wow, that sounds like a great day! Sounds like you've got a reader on your hands....that's awesome! (Angry Reader Boy!)

12:47 AM, October 24, 2005  
Anonymous Nutso-Ranter said...

You get huge mommy points for reading all those books. My little man's afternoon reading looked like:

Goodnight Gorilla
Goodnight Gorilla
Goodnight Gorilla
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Goodnight Gorilla
Goodnight Gorilla
Goodnight Gorilla
Goodnight... "um. Sweetie, how about if you read to yourself for a little while?"

8:10 AM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger susan said...

Indeed, admirably varied reading tastes. What a beautiful day. We had a good weekend here, too, but nothing quite so literary. More glue, fewer books, lots of fun with scissors.

8:37 AM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger ccw said...

Lucky you! I only wish I could read that many books to Baby H. We are lucky to get through one book before she riips it from our hands and runs aways.

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day. I hope AB is feeling better today.

10:04 AM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

The rewards for the time spent reading are at least ten-fold. I read incessantly to both OD and YD, and both of them love books. Even YD, who struggles so with her reading, gives it her all. He's very sweet, APL.

11:03 AM, October 24, 2005  
Anonymous Genevieve said...

Sounds like a good weekend, despite the brief and all the trial stress!

Mmm, Silver Diner -- we could meet you there for lunch, maybe, some weekend?

Great reading time. Go little reader boy. We do similar reading times - when the weather is nice, we take a stack of books out to the hammock and read, read, read.

11:31 AM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger KLee said...

Love the booklist! AB is either a genius or a librarian in the making! :)

I have fond, fond memories of reading a lot of those to my daughter (except The Wookie Storybook -- is that a Star Wars thing?)

Offspring went through a phase with "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." I was SO glad when that one fell off of her rota. Now, she's STILL loving Junie B. Jones, although we did just buy "Al Capone Does My Shirts." See what you have to look forward to? :)

4:24 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Anne www.tinykingdom.typepad.com said...

Foot, foot foot foot foot foot FEET
How many many feet you meet!

Anne

5:47 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

What a sweetpea he is! 8am? Wow!

I hope your work schedule lessens a little bit soon!

6:16 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Yes, KLee, the Wookie Storybook is a Star Wars thing. It was published in 1979. It's one of the many books I kept from my own childhood.

Genevieve, I'd love to meet you guys at Silver Diner!

10:03 AM, October 25, 2005  
Blogger RussianViolets said...

If he keeps reading like that, he'll take after his momma and become ABL. And please pass the chili!

9:26 AM, October 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home