Thursday, September 01, 2005

Wake Me Up When September Ends*

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Like my father's come to pass
Seven years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Ring out the bells again
Like we did when spring began
Wake me up when September ends

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Like my father's come to pass
Twenty years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends
Wake me up when September ends
Wake me up when September ends

*The more I read about New Orleans, especially about what's going on in the Superdome, the more I hear this Green Day song in my head.

9 Comments:

Blogger Songbird said...

Well, thank you for that.

11:38 PM, September 01, 2005  
Blogger ccw said...

That is a beautiful poem.

8:00 AM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger ccw said...

Oops, I mean song. Lack of morning coffee is rendering me fuzzy and stumbling in the mornings.

8:01 AM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Yeah, thanks. That pretty much sums it up. And we haven't even gotten to 9/11 yet...

11:00 AM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

what Phantom said.

12:29 PM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Thank you for sharing it.

1:55 PM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Scrivener said...

Cool lyrics. I don't know the song itself--from the most recent album? What's it sound like? Is it a ballad or more like the other songs of theirs I might know? I've dithered about getting American Idiot but now I might have to.

12:03 PM, September 07, 2005  
Blogger Scrivener said...

Oh, and Phantom, if you want to get to 9/11, listen to Wilco's "Jesus, etc."

12:04 PM, September 07, 2005  
Anonymous Kristen said...

I swear to you - that song has come up on my iPod every day this week. I kid you not. It gives me the chills every time. me thinks the shuffle is not always random.

ps. we password protected the blog...let me know if you'd like the password.

11:00 PM, September 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home