Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Lead in kids' vinyl lunchboxes

For those of you with school-age and young kids, Mieke at Kid Squared has a post about the dangers of lead in kids' lunchboxes. The nitty-gritty from the California Center for Environmental Health website:
Normal use of positive lunchboxes CEH has tested would not cause acute lead poisoning. However, if your child is also exposed to other environmental exposures to lead such as lead paint, the cumulative effect could be toxic.


So while it's probably not something you need to panic about, if you have one of these lunchboxes, sounds like you should junk it as soon as possible. The CEH website also (helpfully) has photos of the types of lunchboxes they tested.

7 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Aw, does that mean I have to throw out LG's favorite "[Daddy's] University" vinyl lunch bags? Double phooey.

8:57 PM, September 21, 2005  
Blogger ccw said...

Thanks for the tip. Kid L doesn't have a vinyl lunchbox anymore, but now I know what to avoid when she needs a new one.

10:56 PM, September 21, 2005  
Blogger Suzanne said...

No lunchboxes here yet, but I'll add this to my list of things to freak out about. Thanks!

10:54 AM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Yikes! I saw that over at Mieke's and thought, "hmmm...I should tell the people with young kids..." and promptly forgot. Nice old Auntie.

3:35 PM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

None here, but I can't believe they still have to recall for lead. The manufacturing standards should have been fixed years ago!

7:02 AM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

That is really shameful.

PS, I think you're safe because it is boxes, not bags.

Thanks for the tip, APL. I kind of wanted to buy Josh a lunchbox to make him take my homemade lunches to work in, but I won't now : )

1:29 PM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger KLee said...

Thanks for posting this. I have forwarded it on to my school's nurse, so that we can try and determine if any of our students carry lunchboxes like these.

5:32 PM, September 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home