Saturday, September 24, 2005

Late to the party: 100 things about APL

1. I like my job.
2. I don't want to get fired.
3. I don't blog about my job that often because of #2.
4. I love sports.
5. In my opinion, Nascar is not a sport.
6. Even though I know the Redskins should change their team name, a part of me will be sad when they inevitably do. And, just to reiterate, they should.
7. I like to watch TV.
8. I have been, well, obsessed with three television shows: "The X-Files," "NewsRadio," and "ER."
9. I've been to at least 45 of the 50 states, 'cause my mom, aunt and I went on a cross-country road trip when I was 9.
10. I've stood in 4 states at once.
11. I've only lived in 2 states.
12. I prefer the mountains to the beach.
13. War movies and sports movies make me cry.
14. I don't have time to read books anymore.
15. I read the paper every day.
16. I carry Mo Vaughn's Pawsox baseball card around in my dayplanner. (He was "Maurice" on the card.)
17. Excluding college, I've never lived without a dog.
18. Both cats I've lived with were evil, but I am still open to the possibility of owning another cat.
19. My first car was a 1983 Subaru hatchback.
20. It had a bumper sticker that my mom and I got at the 1983 March on Washington--the 20th anniversary of MLK's March on Washington.
21. The only other march I've been to was the 1992 March for Women's Lives, also with my mom.
22. I still have a T-shirt from that march.
23. After that march, I asked my mom to get me a couple of T-shirts out of the NOW catalog... and she did, and I wore them proudly.
23. I didn’t go to today’s antiwar march... but my mom is there.
24. My mom is the closest thing I've had to a role model.
25. Lots of women dread turning into their mothers; for a while it was a goal of mine.
26. I haven't always been a Democrat.
27. When I was 5, at my dad's behest, I wrote a letter to President Reagan and told him I liked jellybeans, too.
28. Four years later, I was hoping that Mondale would win and that Ferraro would be the first female VP.
29. I have voted for Republicans.
30. Since I turned 18, I have never NOT voted in a November election.
31. I have to wear a watch, or I will panic.
32. My dad gave me an awesome watch for my most recent birthday.
33. My favorite watch, though, is still my kickass digital watch that NSAH got me years ago when I was still running.
34. I haven't run in a few years.
35. I love going to the gym.
36. Since my knees are shot, I use the elliptical trainers.
37. I reeeeeeeeally want to buy one for my house.
38. I have wondered in recent years whether I might have a (very) mild form of Asperger's syndrome.
39. A few years ago, I took the online Autism-Spectrum Quotient test.
40. The average score is a 16.4. Eighty percent of people who have autism or a similar disorder scored a 32 or higher. I got a 28.
41. I wasn't surprised by that result.
42. People who don't know me very well tend to think that I am innocent and sweet, possibly to the point of being stuck up.
43. People who know me fairly well tend to think I'm very emotionally stable and well-balanced.
44. And for the most part, I am. Ninety-five percent of the time, I'm on an even keel.
45. I have gotten books autographed by: Dave Barry, Wendy Wasserstein and Maurice Sendak.
46. By tomorrow, I should have John Irving to add to that list.
47. My favorite authors include John Irving, Carrie Fisher, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Louisa May Alcott, Barbara Kingsolver and William Styron.
48. My favorite children's authors include Lloyd Alexander, John Christopher, and Alfred Slote.
49. I've stopped opening the Pottery Barn and Hold Everything catalogs we get in the mail, because I just get depressed at how much that stuff costs.
50. I typed "Potty Barn" in no. 49, then changed it when I saw my mistake.
51. I wrote a screenplay.
52. It's sitting on my computer, unedited.
53. I finished the first draft August 1, 2003.
54. I haven't looked at it since.
55. I like putting furniture together.
56. If I'd been born a boy, my name would've been Michael.
57. I/we considered giving Angry Boy the middle name "Carter."
58. I don't know what to do with my hair.
59. I've only had two manicures.
60. I really didn't enjoy them.
61. I've had two professional massages.
62. I wish I could go every week.
63. I've sprained both ankles twice, very badly. Twice in soccer games, twice from being a big clutz.
64. I fractured my wrist (hairline fracture, no biggie) playing goalie in high school.
65. I inherited my clutziness from my mother's mother.
66. Like someone else I know, I bite my fingers more than my fingernails.
67. Really, I only bite my fingernails if one has a little tear, 'cause I'm afraid I'll snag it on something and hurt myself.
68. I wish I was a little bit taller (she said, quoting Skee Lo).
69. I love Peter Reigert (I am reminded of this because "The Mask" is on TV right now).
70. Among my favorite musical artists are Aimee Mann, Coldplay, Garbage, Paul Simon, Michael Penn, Guster, and Toad the Wet Sprocket.
71. Ryan from Guster asked to touch my boucle sweater when I was standing in line to get their autographs, and I let him (he touched the sleeve).
72. I was so sad when I had to throw that sweater away--it had a really huge hole in it toward the end there.
73. I hate shopping for clothes.
74. When I absolutely need to buy clothes, I prefer to shop at Old Navy and Kohl's.
75. I am not afraid of flying, but I don't like to fly.
76. I love the train.
77. I've ridden the Accela train from DC to NYC once, and I had a blast.
78. I rode trains all over Europe with my mom, and I had a blast.
79. I don't sail very often.
80. I've enjoyed sailing the few times I've gone.
81. I've ridden a hovercraft across the English Channel.
82. I've never gone in the Chunnel.
83. I would like to be able to retire at 55.
84. Before I die, I would like to travel to Australia & New Zealand, Greece, Croatia, Slovenia, Scotland and Wales.
85. When I was 5, I wanted to be a farmer.
86. When it comes to gardening and planting, I have a black thumb.
87. Just like Han Solo, I believe in luck.
88. I'm also a fan of preparation.
89. I have excellent reflexes, despite the fact that I am a clutz.
90. My family is the greatest thing I have in life.
91. I even like my in-laws.
92. I love all the dogs in my family.
93. I would be happy wearing jeans and t-shirts every day.
94. In addition to the two pairs of nice work shoes I just bought (cute black pumps and brown loafers with brass buckles), I also bought a pair of gray Vans.
95. I hate wearing skirts and pantyhose.
96. I will wear long dresses if I don’t have to wear pantyhose with them.
97. When I do dress up to go out for a fancy dinner, I look damn good.
98. I wear a minimum of makeup, and no perfume.
99. It’s a good day when I remember to wear my earrings.
and
100. I’m ready for hurricane season to be over this year.

14 Comments:

Blogger Blonde Justice said...

Oh, I love John Irving!

6:59 PM, September 24, 2005  
Blogger kenju said...

I like John Irving too. This is an interesting list, APL, and I am going to send it to you-know-who.

9:00 PM, September 24, 2005  
Anonymous Habibi said...

You and I are a lot alike. Not surprisingly. We lawyer-types seem to have that in common. Well, you are a lawyer. I'm a lawyer-type until I pass that bar thingy ;)

9:31 AM, September 25, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I was there in 1992, too. No cool NOW t-shirts, though.

10:55 PM, September 25, 2005  
Anonymous Beanie Baby said...

RE: #40: I got 22. But hte site wasn't working and I had to manually calculate my score. Do you think that raises or lowers it?

8:48 AM, September 26, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

I am so there with you on most of your answers, and yes, I was at the '83 and '92 marches, too. Different set of 'rents each time, though.

10:28 AM, September 26, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I love your answers. I think you may have to change the A in APL to something else.

What you said about your mother was fanstastic.

Loving mountains too :)

Thanks for doing this--even late--it was so great to learn things about you.

11:09 AM, September 26, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Can I just tell you I totally love you? I already did, but now even more.

11:48 AM, September 26, 2005  
Blogger ccw said...

I love your list! I enjoy reading these about everyone.

Your mom sounds wonderful.

My mom never picked a name for me as a boy, she said that she knew I would be a girl.

8:52 AM, September 27, 2005  
Blogger RussianViolets said...

This is really, really interesting. I feel like I better get on it and do this one.

RV

4:50 PM, September 27, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Hey, Habibi, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

And Running2Ks, when I saw your comment, at first I was like, "Is she calling me an 'Asshole'?" Heh.

9:18 PM, September 27, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oooh APL, I love your 100 things list! We are alike on lots of things, except for the sports loving : ) We've discussed that before, though.

I also wear no makeup! And I'd be happy in casual clothes all the time! But I look good dressed up too. Ha! Now I just need to get you to Boston, or me to your neck of the woods. We gotta meet!

10:24 AM, September 28, 2005  
Blogger Phil said...

I have never participated in a march. I am not a marching person.

I too have ridden across the Channel in a hovercraft.

3:30 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Welcome to the site, Phil.

9:29 PM, October 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home