Sunday, August 28, 2005

The two faces of Angry Boy

Today was a hard day. Today was a day that I reminded myself how lucky I am to have a kid like Angry Boy (despite the fact that he was the sole cause of all of today's stress and strain), because some kids can be difficult for hours and hours at a time. AB, on the other hand, decided to become an inconsolable wretch for just about 30 minutes. At an airport (happily, not on the flight). First, he wouldn't let me carry him. Then, when I put him down on the ground, he would crouch down on all fours, blocking the way of all of the other travelers. So I picked him up, and he'd holler some more. My breaking point was when I was holding him near the baggage claim. He looked me right in the eye, smiled, and took both hands--palms open--and smacked me on my cheeks. I dropped him. Not flat on his ass, but still. I put him down on his own two feet faster than you could blink. I told him that we don't tolerate hitting (his dad added his own scolding immediately). When I bent down to pick him up again, he reached up with a hand and tried to hit me again. I looked at NSAH and said, "That's it. I'm taking him to the car."

I scooped up the boy and walked purposefully out of the terminal. He howled on our way out of the terminal, outside past the staring airport employees and travelers, through crosswalks and pedestrian tunnels, all the way to the car. He howled when I put him in the car and strapped him into his seat. Mercifully, he stopped howling for the 30 seconds when I had to put the window down and pay our parking fare at the toll gate. Then he howled as we drove around the airport a couple of times, until NSAH appeared outside with our remaining bags.

And then he slept the whole ride home. And he slept some more after we got home.

Thankfully, he was himself once we coaxed him to wake up for playtime and dinner. He was sweet, curious, and playful. That is the boy I'm used to.

Despite today's misery (and I was miserable for a while--I was laughing while hauling him to the car, because it was all I could do to keep from crying), I did have a good weekend traveling with him. On our flight out, he slept on me for about an hour--I thought it would become uncomfortable, but it was pure heaven. He was sweet to everyone we saw, and was excited by nearly everything we dragged him to.

UPDATE: Apparently, there was a July post called "The two faces of Angry Boy." I see this has now become a monthly feature. Goody.

14 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

Ooh, sorry. Nothing worse than your normally sweet boy turning into a holy terror in public. Sounds like you handled it well though.

10:11 PM, August 28, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Yeah, you did a great job with him. And I'm jealous -- behavior issues are a daily battle with LG. AB sounds like a prince among toddlers.

10:43 PM, August 28, 2005  
Blogger Siryn said...

Thankfully he only lasted for 30 minutes! Let's hope this isn't the male child version of PMS, however.

2:33 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Lawmummy said...

It sounds like you escaped the "well meaning parental advice" from others in the airport. Hooray!

When Katie has a meltdown, inevitably some older woman comes up to me to advise that she's probably hungry, cold, etc. At moments like that, I just want to toss Katie over to her, yell "CATCH!" and run off. But I suspect CPS would be called...

At any rate, sounds like you handled it well... Kudos!

8:03 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Oli said...

You will handle it !!! Keep up the good work dude ! :)

Nice blog ! I like it !!

Regards from south Germany...

Oli

www.blogtrade.blogspot.com

8:30 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger ccw said...

So sorry, tantrums in front of lots of people are the worst. I must say that you did a great job with him. I usually end up looking like laser beams might come out of my eyes or that I might just collapse on the floor and curl in to the fetal position.

9:10 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Sounds like you resolved it quickly and well, APL! Not that I'd know, but still, sounds good to me! I like the monthly feature idea too.

9:37 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with the angry face of AB. Traveling is just so rough at this age. Sounds like he really needed that nap to become himself again.

*when I read the post title, I had to check the date, as it DID sound familiar

10:01 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOH, I HATE a PDA (Public Display of Azzholitude)! I always felt like such a loser. It's not easy being a toddler sometimes, or the parent of one. It does sound, like everyone else said, like you did a great job. Here's to happy awakenings.

10:24 AM, August 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We got him away from as many people as we could -- we hunkered down at a gate that wasn't expecting a flight for a few hours.

Fortunately, that airport is never exactly quiet, so it's easy to lose his cries in the background noise.

On the flight, he wasn't bothering anyone except APL. To a lesser extent, me, but I wasn't the one who had him on my lap, and we weren't about to try to move him. In current terms, I was just west of New Orleans and she was Biloxi.

- NSAH

10:42 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Anne www.tinykingdom.typepad.com said...

Hey - tagged you for a song meme. I'll check back post-hurricane and see what you're listening to...

Best

Anne

still angry, ex-pregnant ex-lawyer!

1:53 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger kenju said...

You handled him in just the right way, Mama! And if you have to have those "two faces" posts frequently - well - that's life. He is asserting his authority (or so he thinks) and it proves that he has a good mind!

2:07 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger susan said...

Is it horrible of me to be reading this post thinking "oh good, it's not just me?" I hate it when my daughter hits me--which doesn't happen very often but when it does it just stinks. Still, sounds like you had a great attitude and I'm glad he's back to his sweet self.

8:40 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Mieke said...

Sounds like he was a tired boy. Traveling can do that.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I just got back from my sister's place; her kids are 5, 7, 10 and they are independent and cooperative with only a hint of whine from time to time. They need her but as a touchstone, not for moment to moment interaction. Soon that will be us.

10:18 AM, August 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home