Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Two Faces of Angry Boy

Angry Boy had another small meltdown this morning as we went our separate ways: me in my car, him in Not So Angry Husband's car. Here's NSAH's description of AB in the car this morning:

In the car, he quickly stopped whining and enjoyed a new game when we were stopped at the light. I put the [toy plastic] chicken nugget on top of the passenger seat and balanced him until I pushed him and made him fall. He thought it was funny. We played with Grimace, too. When I would put one of them on the headrest, he would laugh and say, “Be careful.” But then he’d say, “Daddy, push!” So he was concerned with their welfare, but only to a point. Ah, my little Caligula.


NSAH's description of the transfer from car to daycare:

“WAAAAAHHH SCREEEEEEEEEEEE (pause, sniff) WAAAAAAHHHHH …”

(pause in front of newsstand with Sesame characters in window) “Look, who is that?”

(sniff … sniff)

“Is that Elmo?”

(sniff … sniff)

“And is that Big Bird?”

(sniff … sniff)

“Who is that?” (sniff) “Is that Grover?”

(sniff …)

“OK, let’s go to your room.”

“waaaaAAAAAAHHHHHHH …. (beep beep [on the keypad door]) AAAAHHHH (beep beep, open) … oooh, pig. And Elephant …”


Yes, the room where AB goes to daycare frequently has a pile of plastic animals on the floor, and he runs to that pile every day upon entering. No matter how grumpy he is, he usually brightens upon seeing that pile. So he was instantly fine again:

He was fine in [his room at daycare]. W----'s dad came in and started picking up animals, then giving them the wrong names. AB was quick to correct. “Is that a dog?” “Noooo, sheep!” And so on.

He again answered an emphatic “Yes” when I asked if he’d be good, and he gave me a nice “Bye-bye Daddy.”


Pissy to sweet to pissy to sweet in no time flat. My head spins.

12 Comments:

Blogger Scrivener said...

Sounds like he might possibly be two years old.

9:54 AM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

"Pissy to sweet to pissy to sweet in no time flat."

He sounds like me!!! Maybe we're related!

I love NSAH's narrative. Can he write some guest posts?

10:05 AM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

My older one is just like that. I remember 3 is worse than 2, but 4 is magically better. BTW, what IS a Grimace. I never knew as a kid, and I still don't know now.

10:12 AM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

Yup. Normal. Yup.

Love that guy!

10:13 AM, July 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Grimace is an alien from a planet neighboring the Ewoks.

(I should write Star Wars: Episode VII based on that premise.)

- NSAH

10:38 AM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

I used to say that it was marvelous how a 2 year old could go from zero to bitch in a tenth of a second. OOOH, toddlerhood can be a challenge.

11:18 AM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger Piece of Work said...

"zero to bitch in a tenth of a second"--I love that! It's perfect!

11:58 AM, July 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running2ks-- I sure hope you're right. Mine-like-this turns 4 in a few weeks, and we're long past ready for this all to end.

12:57 PM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

We passed the magic four mark a few weeks ago. I'm still hoping that he'll wake up some morning magically transformed into a cooperative child.

(Peeks head around corner to check on son.)

No, still not yet!

2:22 PM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger SuzanH said...

Somehow, some day, it will be a pleasure. And you'll be amazed.

Particularly enjoy going from zero to bitch, YT. Very nice.

5:05 PM, July 26, 2005  
Anonymous terrilynn said...

> Pissy to sweet to pissy to sweet in no time flat.

In our house this was known as going from sugar to shit. Poetic, aren't we?

7:53 PM, July 28, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

I do like the aliteration, terrilynn. Welcome!

10:04 PM, July 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home