Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Statistics

Interesting article in the Post today on abortion statistics. Some stats that jumped out at me:
  • Six in 10 women who had abortions in 2002 were mothers.

  • Sixty percent of women who had abortions in 2000 had incomes of less than twice the poverty level--e.g., below $28,000 per year for a family of three. The explanation for this is that poor women have less access to birth control or family planning/counseling.

  • Almost 90 percent of abortions are performed in the first trimester.

  • Less than 1 percent of abortions are performed after 24 weeks.


And the number of abortions performed has been going down. If that's because more women are receiving family planning advice and/or have increased access to contraception, then I'm thrilled. If that's because more states are attempting to restrict access to abortion providers, then I think I'll be doubling my contribution to Planned Parenthood.

6 Comments:

Blogger halloweenlover said...

interesting article. I do wonder what might be causing this drop, though, and it makes me nervous that people will use abstinence programs as the reason. I think I'll be increasing my contribution as well.

9:49 AM, July 19, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

halloweenlover, I thought the same thing: here come the great statements about abstinence programs being the right kind of sex ed!
Stats down due to more access to birth control? A good thing.
Due to more restrictions? Very, very bad...out comes the checkbook.

10:07 AM, July 19, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

If the cause is that women have less access to abortion providers, you'd think there would be a slight uptick in the birthrate. If the cause is better access to birth control, then I'd hypothesize that the birthrate would be stable or declining slightly.

Either way, though, it's not a bad idea to bring out the checkbook!

12:35 PM, July 19, 2005  
Blogger Casey said...

I'm not sure you would see much change in the birth rate. The abortion rate in the US is so much lower than the birth rate that any additional births that occurred because of decreased access to abortion would probably not affect the birth rate.

3:45 PM, July 19, 2005  
Blogger Piece of Work said...

could the explanation for 60% of patients being below the poverty line also be that these folks are more likely to choose abortion because they absolutely can't afford not to?

4:56 PM, July 19, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

APL! Good news! Summer associates are going crazy again!

11:41 AM, July 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home