Thursday, July 28, 2005

Solidarity

Why do some women feel the need to cut their female coworkers down?

Are they so insecure about their own standing within a predominately male-led company that they view other women as a threat?

Are they of the opinion that, since their climb up the ladder was so difficult and unpleasant, the women who follow must suffer the same fate?

Are they simply dense morons who never learned how to relate to other human beings?

I'm honestly curious. I've been lucky enough to work with some wonderful women in my various jobs--women that I looked up to, women that took me under their wings, women I could confide in, seek advice from. In fact, I think I'd be lost at my job if I weren't surrounded by cool women, some of whom also happen to be married and/or moms.

But every now and then, I hear stories from my friends about their female coworkers that make my blood boil.* Aren't we all supposed to be in this together? The cover story of last week's Economist (the article isn't free online, so I didn't bother to link) proclaims that women are still not acheiving higher positions on the corporate ladder. Maybe I'm naive, but how are women supposed to excel when they don't even have the other women at work supporting them?

* I also hear anger-inducing stories about male coworkers/bosses. Those piss me off, too, but for some reason I feel more ... I don't know ... betrayed when I hear about horrible female coworkers/bosses.

4 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

It's not just co-workers. On the homefront there is competition--whose house is bigger, whose kid is smarter. Women compete. And I still have no idea why--I avoid a lot of women for this reason.

11:32 AM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

I guess I'm lucky, then, 'cause this is an issue I hardly run into outside the workplace. I have only known one woman among my group of present and former friends and acquaintances who was like that, competitive about everything... and most of us just lost touch with her after a while.

11:43 AM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Yeah, I've never gotten the woman-against-woman thing. I'm with you, APL-we're all in this together, and don't waste my time, please with the competition or back-biting nonsense. I just shut people out when they get that way. Life is way too short...

12:02 PM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Ugh, I don't know. This is precisely the type of attitude I was complaining about in an older post. I just don't get it.

I am lucky enough to have a couple of female partners at my new firm that seem to want to help younger women on their way up, but I have seen quite a bit of unhelpfulness among female colleagues. And that, combined with the tendency of men to prefer working with other men, doesn't make for a happy environment.

I have also seen it in social circles, but not as much with my friends yet.

3:16 PM, July 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home