Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Second verse, same as the first!

On the weekend, before I got all your great recommendations for kids' books, I went to Borders to buy books for a friend's child, and OF COURSE wound up buying two books for Angry Boy. I broke out the second of the new books tonight. It's The Wheels on the Bus.

It has the lyrics of the song, accompanied by corresponding pictures. It also happens to repeat the lead verse (i.e., wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round, etc.) as the last verse.

Angry Boy was having none of it. Every time I got to the last page and started to repeat the first verse, as I was bound to do by the words cast in black print on the page, he shook his head vigorously and drowned out my melodic reading with:

"No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no."

This happened at least a half dozen times (that's how many times he wanted me to re-read it in a row before we got ready for bed).

One of these days, I'll have to explain to him what a "reprise" is.

6 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I love AB! He's right, that reprise is annoying!

10:23 PM, July 12, 2005  
Anonymous Lisa V said...

That was the book Daughter #2 brought Daughter #1 when she was born. Sort of a "don't hate me cause I'm a baby and steal all the damn attention " gift. It didn't work.

It was even a pop-up too.

11:16 PM, July 12, 2005  
Blogger Gina said...

There are a couple of books in which I, bad mother that I am, have changed the wording to every time I read them to him.

I am not looking forward to the outrage that will accompany the discovery. Luckily, I've got a while to go yet before he discovers my deception.

2:04 AM, July 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, he did it to me, too! That's why I had to make up the last verse: "AB on the bus goes no, no, no ... no, no, no ... no, no, no ..."

9:31 AM, July 13, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

That song was the first one Muffin Man ever sang to us. He'd sing it while we were changing his diaper. The first verse. With hand signs. Over and over and over and over.

Ohsocute! but annoying too.

11:18 AM, July 13, 2005  
Anonymous pottyphobe said...

How cute! When do they start singing? (I guess talking starts first, huh?).

Yeah, you can't blame AB for wanting to skip that part... reprises are boring.

My munchkin is into turning pages of his board books. When he turns the page, I know its time to move on... regardless of what the text demands. I've gotten pretty good at abbreviating some stories...

11:28 AM, July 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home