Thursday, July 21, 2005

My crazy family

But crazy in a good way. A couple of weeks back, I received a birthday card in the mail from one of my aunts (who is so incredibly sweet and completely goofy in just the best way, like almost everyone else I'm related to). Nice, yes? Well, just last week, I received another birthday card from her. My immediate thought was, "Oh, Aunt So-and-So, you're so typical of our chaotic family that you forgot you already sent me a card." Then I opened the card and read the inscription:

Guess what? You get 2 b-day cards from us this year because I forgot about the other one till I started addressing this one--then deja vu struck!! You could say I've been under a lot of stress lately--or Alzheimer's is setting in early...


OK, so she was addressing the envelope for card #2, when it dawned on her that she'd already sent me a card. At this point, she hadn't written anything in card #2. Wouldn't most people in this situation trash the envelope and keep the card for future use, maybe for someone else's b-day? Envelopes are easy to come by, after all. Not my aunt. She goes right ahead and sends the second card, too, informing me of her brain fart. My relatives crack me the hell up.

(When this particular aunt mentioned she was heading to Boston before my birthday, and asked whether I might like some Red Sox stuff for my birthday, I squealed with delight. She then tried to persuade me to give her some other gift suggestions, like DVDs or books, but I would not budge. "Red Sox stuff, Red Sox stuff!" My poor child has no chance of becoming a normal sports fan, does he?)

11 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Tell her you want that ball that plays a recording of the announcer going crazy at the World Series win!

I have to post a picture of the over-the-top baseball cap that my guys brought from the game for me.

9:21 AM, July 22, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

I love your aunt. I love being from a crazy family myself.

10:08 AM, July 22, 2005  
Blogger Scrivener said...

What's a "normal sports fan"?

10:47 AM, July 22, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I saw someone with a shirt the other day that said "I won't date Yankees fans". Do you think we can still wear it even though we're married?

So how did you end up being a red sox fan anyway?

11:06 AM, July 22, 2005  
Blogger Kim Plaintive said...

That card incident sounds like something I would do, but opposite. Like I would write a birthday card to my aunt and then forget to mail it and put it in my card pile. Then when I would need to send a card to a friend, I would find the one written to my aunt and just send that to the friend, with a p.s. about why he's getting a card written to my aunt.

1:35 PM, July 22, 2005  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

LOL, I love it.

3:03 PM, July 22, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

Your aunt sounds wonderful.

7:24 PM, July 22, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Hi, Kim, not sure if I've welcomed you here before.

I have to see that hat, Phantom.

Halloweenlover, you've given me an idea for my next blog post.

9:46 PM, July 22, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Better a few cards, then none. In my family, my psychotic sister-in-law got mad at me because I sent her card too early--it got to her 2 weeks before her birthday in the same month as her birthday. I say, appreciate what you get!

1:19 PM, July 23, 2005  
Anonymous Justine said...

Belated Happy Birthday!

11:47 PM, July 24, 2005  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Incredible blog. I admired your site and I will be
back once again to view it! I use much of my spare
time searching for blogs like yours.
I hope you had a chance to check out my plastic surgery nj blog.

6:19 AM, December 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home