Thursday, July 28, 2005

Maybe his fists are supposed to be waaaay bigger?

I'm sick of seeing these ads for Gerber Graduates where they show a tiny fist and a voice says, "Remember, moms, your toddler's stomach is only as big as her little fist!"

I remember, I remember. I read it in the parenting books, and I learned it again while watching shows like "American Baby" when I was on maternity leave. But somebody had better tell Angry Boy. The kid can pack it away like a camel. He's eaten entire bowls of (gas-inducing) broccoli, adult-size fruit plates, and multiple slices of watermelon without pause.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still haen't picked a name . . .

but, yea. I don't get it. I've been shocked to see my 23 pound toddler go through an entire single-serve of mac&cheese and ask for more. Child then eats most of that AND a cup of applesauce.

Sure, there's growth spurts and all, but I think mom was onto something with the whole "that kid must have a hollow leg" thing.

8:56 AM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

They're like chipmunks. They store it away in odd corners and use it up later.

9:46 AM, July 29, 2005  
Anonymous nutso-ranter said...

My son really does do the chipmunk thing... He's a big fan of sticking it all in his mouth, and chewing... chewing...chewing...chewing... but there is no swallowing.

He screams for the next bite anyway. When his cheeks look like Dizzie Gillespie, I pull the plug.

10:38 AM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Yeah, I don't get the fist thing either. My girls eat like adults.

11:31 AM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh, it must be some stupid anti-obesity propaganda. If your kids aren't obese, then I don't think you need to worry about whether their stomachs are fist-sized, basketball-sized, or attached to a hollow leg.

12:23 PM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I heard this commercial last night while getting ready for bed and started cracking up. Now I'll never hear about a toddler's fist sized stomach again without remembering AB.

4:20 PM, August 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home