Friday, July 08, 2005

Live for tomorrow, and do what you have to

It's been a busy few days at work. The past three nights, I've come home at a reasonable hour, played with Angry Boy, put him to bed, and then turned around and headed back into work. Tonight, after putting him to bed, I decided I'd browse some blogs before heading back to work. Went to Scrivener's page and read his Friday Shuffle, London-themed edition. The last song he lists is Garbage's "The Trick is to Keep Breathing."

So, upon getting back into my car, I pressed 3 on the CD changer, and picked track no. 8 and listened to that Garbage song (Garbage 2.0 has been in my CD changer for over a year--I'm so bad about switching out CDs). Then I switched over to Garbage's Beautiful (which has been in my CD player for about two years) and played the song "Parade." I'd always internalized the lyrics of that song, but tonight, driving through my town and thinking of current events, I thought about how the words spoke beyond my life and applied to all of us. So I want to post them here.

Parade

Get it right
Do it good
Get it right now
Get it right
Do it good
Get it right now

Oh let's bomb the factory
That makes all the wannabes
Let's burst all the bubbles
That brainwash the masses


As far as I can tell
It doesn't matter who you are
If you can believe there's something worth fighting for
The colour of an eye
The glory of a sudden view
The baby in your arms
The smile he always shoots at you

Believing in nothing
Makes life so boring
So let's pray for something
To feel good in the morning


Oh doctor
We're dying
There's no use in crying
So live for tomorrow
And do what you have to.


Good night.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change out the CDs? But then I couldn't listen to the two Nada Surf tunes and the handful of Garbage songs I like whenever I borrow your car!

9:59 PM, July 08, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Timely music.

10:30 PM, July 08, 2005  
Blogger Scrivener said...

Wow, 2 Garbage CDs in your changer for more than a year!? You're way more of a fan than I am, clearly.

Did you, by any chance, catch them when they were on Charlie Rose? What I mostly remember about it was that Shirley Manson was flirting with Rose like crazy--it was really funny to watch. That and the band came across really well. They all seemed so interesting and cool.

5:36 PM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Shirley is a freak, but I love the music. Bought NSAH "Bleed Like Me," but it's in his car and I haven't listened to it yet.

10:38 PM, July 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home