Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy Independence Day!

Driving back from the animal farm with a sleeping Angry Boy in the back seat, I started to craft in my mind a post about what being an American means to me. It was mostly a diatribe in response to some of the posters who flooded Achenblog a little while back, specifically the "America, love it or leave it" trogolodytes.

But then I got home, put AB down for his nap, and started reading today's paper. And I read a couple of stories that really summed up a lot of the reasons I'm proud to be an American, and I calmed down. I highly recommend them.

One is a front-page feature about Eileen Collins, a pilot and astronaut. Another is about a Virginia Mennonite who opposes the forced Pledge of Allegiance in schools (as well as a lot of other things).

Have a great day, and don't blow off any fingers (or, if you do, make sure it's a useless one, like the pinky).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Habibi said...

Ah, but without pinkies, WE COULDN'T BLOG!

4:00 AM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Interestingly, the Under God part was added in the 1950s, or so I hear, because our pledge sounded too much like the Communists without it. Isn't it funny that a 2 word addition late in the game PO's so many. http://archives.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/26/pledge.allegiance/

7:51 PM, July 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home