Thursday, July 07, 2005

"God bless the human race"

Listening to my favorite local morning show, which is usually a gaggle of funny and crude idiots yammering on, but this morning has been reduced to a crew of 2. They're only talking about the London explosions. It's the most somber I've ever heard this morning show, and of all the calls are about the bombings, the state of the world, and so on.

What hasn't surprised me are the folks calling up and saying "We need to bomb them," or, incredibly, one angry woman who says the bombings are a result of "what we've been doing in Iran, and how we've been bombing Iran for the past three years." *sigh*

What has surprised me: I heard the country accent of another angry man and figured here we go again. But then he started talking about how scared he was, how afraid he was that it was never going to stop, that we'd attack the culprits and then there'd be more bombings in retribution, and so on and so forth, forever and ever amen. And he talked about his younger brother in the Army, and how scared he is for his brother, his family, and for all of us, and he started to cry. And my heart went out to him. He ended his call with "God bless the human race." Amen.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Lisa V said...

Hey you actually alerted me to this. Got up this morning and began working without turning on the tv or radio.

So sad. I also think how this will again change things. How it will derail all sorts of progress on so many fronts. Blair already left G-8. How are we ever going to learn to work together.

I agree with the caller too. Amen indeed.

10:30 AM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger Mieke said...

What a jarring shift for these poor Londoners after the exaltations that filled the streets yesterday. I am feel for them. I know the terror they feel.

Today's event remind us that the experts are right, these terrorist wait and wait and wait. They have tremendous patience, they plan well and then they strike when it will have the biggest impact.

I am sick this morning. Sick.

11:09 AM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

Anyone remember Holly Near's song "Why do we kill people?"

Sigh.

11:30 AM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger Loosely Twisted said...

Blair said he would be back, and promised the G8 that once he had the crisis taken care of he would be back.

12:05 PM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Amen. Such a small word but such a large one. I am so glad that we have not let things like this NOT bother us. That we still have a heart to hurt. I just wish that there did not have to be hurt. I feel powerless.

2:13 PM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger Gina said...

It saddened me very much to hear the news of London this morning.

As Mieke stated, what a turnaround in just one day. I wonder if it also was timed as a warning for the Olympics, as well as the G-8 summit.

The human race needs all the help it can get.

5:27 PM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Hate just breeds more hate, and the non-violent are fed with more fear. I'd say this is a horrible time, but I'm afraid we are just repeating history and it is no worse. I was just hoping things might be better than this.

7:47 PM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Sorry to be the one to break the news, Lisa. Hi to newcomers Twins Mom and Princess. I'm still kind of in a cold daze about all of this. Haven't heard yet from old family friends who live outside London but whose three boys (late 20s to mid-30s) may live in the city now--we're not sure. Hoping to hear tomorrow.

9:10 PM, July 07, 2005  
Anonymous Justine said...

But then he started talking about how scared he was, how afraid he was that it was never going to stop, that we'd attack the culprits and then there'd be more bombings in retribution, and so on and so forth, forever and ever amen.

I just had a flashback to Ragtime (did you ever see that movie?) -- the scene where Booker T. Washington says "Vengeance only perpetuates more vengeance" -- I always remembered that.

9:49 PM, July 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home