Friday, July 01, 2005

Anal Retentive Preschooler

Took AB for a stroll to the playground after work. He's afraid to go on almost everything, except for the see-saw/teeter-totter, which he sits on facing the wrong way. The only other thing he likes is the sandbox. There are always tons of shovels, sieves and buckets. As we walked up (I walked, he did his high-knees quicktime march) to the sandbox, it seemed like there were five times as many sandbox toys strewn about the ground than there were toys actually in the sandbox. He started playing in the sandbox, having a grand ol' time. We couldn't stay for long because we'd gotten there so late, so I told AB that we'd count to 20, and then it would be time to go. (He gets a little thrown off in the mid-teens--he tends to say "14" three times in a row--but he gets back on track with 18, 19, and 20.) At 20, I told him it was time to head back home to see Daddy and the doggies. He started to look unhappy, but then I told him matter-of-factly that it was time to "pick up." I was happy that he proceded to toss his shovel and bucket into the sandbox.

And then he went ahead and picked up every single colorful plastic toy lying around the sandbox, and threw them all in the pit.

If he keeps this behavior up, I'm cutting our cleaning service loose.

7 Comments:

Blogger anbruch said...

What a responsible little boy!

\*/

10:29 PM, July 01, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

I love your little boy.

Did he sing "Clean up, everybody do your share" while he did it?

1:18 AM, July 02, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh my gosh, can my daughter marry your child?

LG was also afraid to go on almost everything at the playground. We spent a lot of time in the sandbox when he was that age. He never cleaned the place up, though!

3:57 PM, July 02, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Liz, what's that song from? I'm not familiar with it. The reason I ask is that he WAS singing something about cleaning up the other day, but I wasn't sure if he made it up himself or not.

10:52 AM, July 03, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

It is the universal day care clean up song. Alas, it's from Barney. It goes:

"Clean up clean up everybody everywhere.
Clean up clean up everybody do your share."

Ad infinitum.

2:36 PM, July 03, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

That must be it! He sings, "Clean UP, clean UP, [unintelligible babble]!" Now I know (and knowing is half the battle).

1:21 PM, July 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a totally different take on this one. He was happy to clean up because he knew there were a ton of toys there and he would get to stay later than just the 20 seconds. Anyone else agree?

11:18 PM, August 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home