Monday, June 06, 2005

I'm surprised I'm not deaf

I spent close to an hour just now making a list of all the concerts I've ever been to. I still don't think this is a complete list, but I've already devoted too much time to this, and my brain is fried. Commas between acts indicate co-headliners, parentheticals indicate opening acts (if I could remember them). I make no apologies for any of these.

No, not even Air Supply.

Peter, Paul & Mary
Sting (Concrete Blonde)
Eric Clapton (Buckwheat Zydeco, Mark Knopfler) (3x)
Billy Joel (2x)
Bonnie Raitt (Charles Brown, Ruth Brown, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones) (3x)
Indigo Girls (Disappear Fear, Ulali) (2x)
Boston
Air Supply
Billy Idol (Faith No More)
Bon Jovi (Skid Row)
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Kenny Loggins
Duran Duran
Screaming Trees, Soul Asylum, Spin Doctors
10,000 Maniacs
Nine Inch Nails (Marilyn Manson)
Bob Dylan, Paul Simon
Shawn Colvin
Gladys Knight & the Pips
Peter, Paul & Mary
Beach Boys
Aimee Mann, Michael Penn
Aimee Mann
Aimee Mann Christmas Show (Grant-Lee Phillips, Fred Armisen)
Jonatha Brooke (2x)
Guster (Ray LaMontagne, Pete Yorn) (3x)
John Mayer (Guster)
Barenaked Ladies (Guster, Tal Bachmann) (2x)
Mike Watt w/ Eddie Vedder (Foo Fighters)
Cracker (Counting Crows)
Bjorn Again
They Might Be Giants (NRBQ)
Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine
Gravity's Pull
Wallflowers
James Taylor
Elton John
Melissa Ethridge
Chicago
Peter Gabriel
The Samples
Steely Dan
Pearl Jam
Toad the Wet Sprocket

WHFStival: Too Much Joy, Robyn Hitchcock, Violent Femmes, more I don't remember
HFSMas Holiday Nutcracker: Live, the Go-Gos, Pete Droge, Evan Dando, Veruca Salt, Freedy Johnston, Big Audio Dynamite, Simple Minds
Lilith Fair: Jill Sobule, Susanna Hoffs, Emmylou Harris, Joan Osborne, Jewel, Indigo Girls, Sarah McLachlan
G105 Big Shindig: Barenaked Ladies, Shawn Colvin, Cowboy Mouth, Duncan Sheik, Poe, Verve Pipe, Cravin Melon, Sister Hazel
Unlimited Sunshine Tour: Cake, Tegan & Sara, Gogol Bordello

June 7 Update: I remembered another after turning off the computer. The Moody Blues. Will update this same list as I recall any others.

June 7 Update, Part II: OK, just got off the phone with my mom. We remembered that we also saw (I'm so ashamed that I forgot her the first time around) Aretha Franklin!!! Forgive me, 'Retha!

June 8 Update: Liz's update reminded me of more. Christine Lavin once, and Seamus Kennedy at least twice (he always flirts with my cool aunt when we go see him).

18 Comments:

Blogger LibraryCrunch said...

Wow, fucking impressive! Some damn good stuff there!

You realize have to steal this idea and make my own list now?

1:08 AM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Um, yeah, what Michael said about fucking impressive and damn good stuff! I am in awe...

8:23 AM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Thanks. I credit my mom, who never balked at paying for concert tickets when I was younger. Plus, I've lucked out and lived near some good venues in my life.

Can't wait to read your list, Michael!

8:47 AM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

I'm stealing too. And am very impressed.

10:53 AM, June 07, 2005  
Anonymous LisaV said...

You know there was a concert meme going around awhile go. This makes me want to dig it out.

11:48 AM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Wow. I think I'd be too embarrassed to post my own list, so I'll savor yours and wish I lived such an exciting musical life!

12:27 PM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

What Suzanne said!

12:42 PM, June 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to post it on yours --

- Village People/Gloria Gaynor (I think I was 9)
- Rush (4X - Fastway, Blue Oyster Cult, Primus, no opener)
- The Monkees (Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, some version of Herman's Hermits, others?)
- R.E.M. (10,000 Maniacs)
- 10,000 Maniacs (Camper Van Beethoven)
- Robert Plant (Cheap Trick)
- Bob Dylan (2X - Steel Pulse, no opener)
- Pink Floyd (2X)
- Sting (2X - Concrete Blonde, Minx?)
- Dreams So Real (2X)
- Foo Fighters (Olympic medals plaza)
- Live
- Yes (no opener)
- Gravity's Pull (sort of -- they were playing at that bar)
- Wynton Marsalis, Dizzy Gillespie and others
- Lollapawhatever (Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds ... I forget)

With you:
- G105 Big Shindig (were the Breeders there, or was that a different one?)
- Guster
- Barenaked Ladies (2X - Guster, Tal Bachman)
- The Samples (Tom Askin)
- Indigo Girls (Ulali)

That *might* be it.

1:14 PM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

No, seriously, anonymous, you saw Camper Van Beethoven live??

My iPod wants to marry you.

5:04 PM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

"anonymous" was NSAH, forgetting to sign his post. Four Rush concerts...

*shakes head*

5:48 PM, June 07, 2005  
Anonymous Blogbelle said...

Okay, uh, can I say, "Hella jealous?" You've got good ass taste in music.

7:31 PM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger anbruch said...

Hey, who needs to apologize for Air Supply. In fact, I was at their very last concert where what's his name was so doped up that he fell off the speaker, bringing the concert, and the band, to a crashing close.

Woohoo.

I'll add my own "what Michael said" about your list!

jwb

8:56 PM, June 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Small problem on Camper Van Beethoven -- due to some incompetent navigational skills within my party (for which I'm at least partly to blame), we caught roughly two songs of their set. That's it. Rather sad.

Rush, for the record, is an amazing live band. Their sense of humor comes across better in concert than it does on their recordings. And you're guaranteed a good drum solo.

The Rush/Blue Oyster Cult doublebill is probably the best combo I've seen, with the following close behind: Rush/Primus, Barenaked Ladies/Guster, R.E.M./10,000 Maniacs.

Oh, and I forgot that the Wallflowers opened for 10,000 Maniacs when I saw them later. That's because the people who had our tickets figured they could skip the opening act. I reminded them that when I saw R.E.M. five years earlier, the opening band was ... 10,000 Maniacs.

- NSAH
- NSAH
- NSAH

9:33 PM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Jimbo, I wanna hear more about that Air Supply concert!

10:06 AM, June 08, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I cringed at some of these I must admit and while I don't know you I am very angry with you. You have seen Billy Idol!! :(

:)

10:53 AM, June 08, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Hey, NSAH, I saw that same REM tour with 10,000 Maniacs opening. Ah, my wasted youth...

Yes, Jimbo. More Air Supply!

6:58 PM, June 08, 2005  
Anonymous Sassy said...

Mary Chapin Carpenter is my all time favorite. Her talent in song writing and the ability to play and sing those songs from her heart go unsurpassed by any other performer.

3:13 AM, June 10, 2005  
Blogger Deviant Law Student said...

Too funny. In my life pre-law school, I worked at a very big record company, and my boss was the (ex) bassist for Too Much Joy. I've never seen that band on anybody's list before....

3:35 PM, June 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home