Sunday, June 05, 2005

I'm soooo tiiired...

... she said, quoting Madeleine Kahn.

Anyhoo, yes, I'm fatigued. But enough about me. Y'all want the dish on Liz at MysteryMommy, donchya?

Buzzards.

I had a great time. A comfortable time. I'll give you an example: I usually try to look nice when meeting someone for the first time, especially if it's someone I want to make a good impression on. But c'mon, people, it's Liz. I picked a comfy T-shirt with no swear words on it--untucked--and a pair of khaki shorts. And, wonderful woman that she is, she was wearing practically the same outfit. So I knew we were going to hit it off.

And Muffin Man? So cute AND smart. And he's got that happy, quiet confidence that I really like in kids.* Angry Boy was totally at ease with MM, as well as his mommy. He gave them nice waves "bye-bye" as we left for the afternoon. We have to go back there (we went to a petting zoo).

We decided it would be easy enough for us to try to get together with the boys once a month. I really hope we do--I don't usually get to participate in outings with AB and another young kid. He's either in daycare or just with grown-ups. Plus, since MM's older, he's more like a role model.

So the morning was great. What wasn't great was the afternoon, when AB refused to nap for more than 45 minutes (he's usually 2 to 2.5 hours). ACK! He was just wired from the morning, and his sleep schedule was thrown off a little because he wound up catching some zzzzs in the car on the way home this morning. Because of his lack of sleep he was going from zero to cranky in 3.6 seconds. Luckily, he was interspersing the true Angry Boy persona with bouts of immense sweetness, wherein he'd take my face in his hands and say, "Mommy hug, Mommy kiss!" And then he's pull my face toward his for a big smooch.

Later in the afternoon, the three of us walked to the local ice cream parlor and had a nice, cold treat. Shortly after that, I wound up meeting an old girlfriend (she's not old--I just mean that we've been friends since 6th grade) for dinner. We talked for ever, and I just got home a little while ago. I feel like I've been running on fumes since 2 p.m., and I am wiped.

So no comments from me on either the Times piece on the hyper-rich (but you can read The Deviant Lawyer's take on it here) or the Washington Post Magazine piece on grade inflation. I hope some of the academic bloggers post their thoughts on this story. It makes my blood boil.

Yeah, so I'm calling it a night... as soon as I go over to MysteryMommy and see if she posted about me!

*Angry Boy, on the other hand, was a total freak. I mean, I'm glad he enjoyed himself so much. But he started being a whiny boy whenever we started walking away from the animals (even if we were walking away from the animals in order to go see more animals--arg!). Luckily, at various points he got so excited that Liz got to see him do what we call his "Flashdance" move: he stands in one place and moves his feet really fast, picking up his knees, a la Jennifer Beals.

6 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

I had a great time with you guys. I can't wait to do it again!

We were dressed the same, weren't we? I got such a kick out of meeting you!

10:58 PM, June 05, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Sounds like a great time. APL, it's fun to make friends with another parent outside of your work or day care, isn't it? I know y'all had a lot of fun. And I am not at all surprised that you both turned out to be as cool as one would expect.

11:13 AM, June 06, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh boy. We're not in your league, you two. "Happy, quiet confidence"? Try "shy, demanding anxiety."

I am so not bringing the kids if I ever get to have a playdate with y'all////

2:50 PM, June 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU'RE exhausted? Which of us mowed the lawn, walked with you downtown and did the quadruple-daily dog lift AFTER the 20-mile bike ride? :)

- NSAH

3:13 PM, June 06, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

The Phantom is way off. Her kids are both ultra-cool and would make any bloggy playdate an even better one!

4:43 PM, June 06, 2005  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oooh, I love the grade inflation article. Can I link on my blog? I cannot believe these students are so demanding!

Sounds like a great visit!

4:52 PM, June 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home